38. One Call

Everly

The feeling of being stressed and being tired is putting lightly. Very lightly. As soon as my eyes drifted shut last night or should I say early this morning it felt like only a minute later my alarm was going off to be able to check the turkey.

I have been up every hour on the hour since six am making sure the turkey is getting baste; this better be the juiciest and greatest turkey of all time.

In between the basting I've been preparing some side dishes like my mom's delicious homemade macaroni and cheese that she uses at least four different cheeses in it. It's my absolute favorite dish to eat besides her yams and I can't forget about her fluffiest mashed potatoes and gravy. Since I couldn't make all of those dishes my mom thankfully made them for our dinner this evening and will be bringing them later.

Just as I put the white casserole dish filled with cheesy goodness in the oven I hear the well rested Cohen walking down the stairs. I know it was the both of us that stayed up late making sweet sweet love but I can't help but be slightly jealous when I woke up seeing the beautiful man I get to call mine butt naked in deep sleep.

"Good morning gorgeous, it smells amazing in here." His sweet words wrap around me the same time his arms wrap around my waist.

"Thank you." I reply as I start making the crust to start the pumpkin pie.

"Do you want me to make you a cup of coffee baby?"

"Yes please." I smile at him as he saunters over to our keruig maker.

My eyes linger on his back like they always do when he's shirtless in the mornings. Watching his muscles flex with every movement he makes. I slide my gaze down not being able to help look at his gym shorts cover butt. Yum.

I hear the machine as it stops and see Cohen turn towards me with my favorite coffee up. He hands it to me with a sweet forehead kiss and sits at our island looking at his phone, probably checking emails or what not.

The low murmur of the tv is filling us as I get started on the filling for the pie. I begin to pull out the ingredients that the recipe calls for lining them up onto the counter next to my teal colored Kitchen Aid mixer. This baby is my pride and joy and an expensive gift from my best friend for planning her wedding. I pull out a can of pumpkin, a couple of eggs, all the spices but then I realize with a curse that I forgot an important ingredient. I knew I should've just bought a pie instead of trying to be little Miss Betty Crocker.

"What's wrong babe? Burn the pie already?" Cohen smirks trying to hide his laugh.

"First of all I haven't even made it let alone put it in the oven and no, I forgot one of the ingredients!" I exclaim as I rub my temples trying to calm my irritation.

I lean my elbows against the cool granite counter top feeling the exhaustion coming with the irritation. I know I shouldn't be this dramatic over forgetting to pick up the stupid can of condensed milk but with lack of sleep, and the stress of trying to make sure this dinner is at least a little good it's making me feel a little crazy inside.

I feel Cohen's warm chest against my back and his hands rub up and down my arms trying to sooth me. He knows how stressed I've been this past week and has been trying to help with whatever he can when he's home but he's barley home with how busy he is during the season and all the new endorsement deals he has. Plus the man can not cook or bake to save his life, bless his heart.