Parked Car

CLIP IS SUITED FOR CAR SCENE

Jane followed Ricky with determination, she needed to get to Everlyn either with him or before him to discuss the bombshell she'd just dropped at the dining table. She could hear James behind her but whether she didn't care how it looked or she was just done with the whole charade she didn't know.

"What are you doing?" James had yelled after her once in the house.

Jane didn't turn around, she could see the front door, she could see Ricky slipping through and running off, she was nearly there.

"Jane!" he cried angrily and she had to turn around, somewhere inside she felt like she owed him that. 

"What?" she shouted back at him.

"Why are you running after her?" He faded off at the end of his question. "Oh... oh!"

Jane rolled her eyes, Everlyn deserved to not have things fucked up because she'd lost her head at her brother and shouted all the things she'd done to his fiancee.

"Cut it out, James, I'm sick of you going over and over this." Jane glanced past James' head, the rest of the family was starting to gather themselves up and come in to sort out the childish bickering.

"I'm such an idiot-" he groaned, holding his head with a look of agony.

"You're not," Jane said bluntly not moving to console him.

"For ever fucking trusting you I am!" he finished.

Jane folded her arms around her chest and glared at him, she was going to let him say whatever because she knew that in more than one way she deserved it. Really, she deserved it long ago to be screamed at, probably when she admitted to herself a year into her an Everlyn's 'affair' that their passion wasn't just an old habit that needed to be quit like smoking. 

James pulled at his hair before letting his hands fall to the side. "It's always been you," he laughed manically.

Back in the garden Sue had stopped everyone from coming in, she was watching her children fight with the knowledge of what it was about and as much as it was tearing apart her family, she couldn't let it tear Everlyn loose her own family.

Jane shook her head. "No, it hasn't."

"Yes it has!" James said with angry enthusiasm. "She always cried on your shoulder, she always told you things first, even after that Christmas things always seemed to be able you."

Jane shook her head and laughed a small, ignorant laugh. "We were friends, we are friends. Stop making this into more than it is."

"Then why isn't she marrying me?" James demanded, the lull in his anger had gone and slowly his cheeks were regaining their colour, ready for a new burst of madness.

Jane shrugged. "I don't know," she answered honestly, she thought it was a done deal and that love was dead and fake, something for fairytales and little girls.

"It's you! It's always been you, you're the reason behind everything Everlyn does, she's in love with you!" James shouted.

Jane clenched her jaw, but she felt like she had to show some kind of emotion. But she couldn't, not without letting the surface crack completely. So instead she shook her head and said quite  calmly. "Then why's she been with you all along?" And turned around and stormed away.

Jane broke down when she got to her car. She cried into her hand and wished that she'd never confronted Everlyn that day in bloody primary school, then she wouldn't be crying in her car like the lead in a rom-com. Everlyn was the only girl she'd ever cried about, the only girl she had ever cared about, Everlyn was all that really mattered to her. She had gotten her through school, through their uneventful hometown, she had been there through everything but now things had shifted and were slipping away. She didn't know what was going on apart from the fact that if Everlyn decided not to marry James and tell him the truth about everything, her family would be over. Her and James were the glue keeping her parents together, she was a detective, she dealt with bored spouses and couples nearly everyday, she could see it in her parent's faces. They would be divorced in a month if their children turned their backs on each other, they didn't need to be together for the sake of 'family' if it didn't exist. Jane hoped that Everlyn would tell James everything, she hoped that all the pretending could stop and everyone would start being genuinely happy. She may have wanted things to be spilt and everything left in the open, but she didn't want to live through it, she wanted to see the end result in a couple of months time when everything had calmed down. So just knocked on her car window when the months had passed and everything was alright again.