End of the Party

"I'm not that drunk," I hissed in Jane's ear as the whole group walked to the next stop.

Jane turned around and glanced warily around at everyone. I honestly couldn't have cared less what they thought was going on because I was determined to get what I wanted just this once. I was sick of always sitting around and going with the flow, I wanted to be happy for myself and no one else. For too long I'd sat around feeling stuck with where I was, I couldn't have Jane because of James and I couldn't love James like I should because Jane was always in some part of my mind. It always came back to Jane. I laughed more with her, I felt happier with her, the sex was better, it was all Jane.

Jane smiled politely at the old friends from school she was walking with, excusing them for my behaviour even though they were just as drunk and couldn't care about how I was acting.

"Just go ahead," she said to them, "we'll catch up."

She took my elbow rather angrily and led me off the street down a small, busy laneway with cafes and little, trendy restaurants. She dropped her hand off my elbow and walked a couple of meters away from me, I stared at her, she was frustrated and ran her hand through her hair. I shivered, I desperately wanted her jacket but I doubted I'd be getting it again. 

"Jane," I said quietly.

She spun around to face me, her eyes were glistening with tears. "Can you not!" she said angrily. 

I softened. "What? Jane, what?"

"You can't say all this to me! It means too much and it makes me believe something can happen. It makes me think it's true."

"But it is true." I stepped closer to her. "It's true."

She looked away from me. "You're just drunk, in the morning you won't mean any of this."

I stepped closer again, she wasn't moving away from me. I could see the tears rolling down her cheeks, she wasn't wiping them away. "But I do, Jane, I mean it," I whispered.

"Please don't play around with me, Everlyn, we ended this!"

"But I've changed my mind!" I fought back, I wasn't going to settle for anything less than her.

"So what's going to happen with James, hey? Are you still getting married?"

I sighed, I was so close to Jane that I could feel her breath against my cheek. "I don't want to think about that now."

Jane shook her head, I grabbed her hand and wiped the tears off her cheek. I smiled at her and she stared into my eyes. She had been heartbroken because of me before, she'd never tell me but I knew it now as she stared at me vulnerably. She was so hesitant to get involved because she didn't want to fuck herself up again.

"I promise you, I want this," I whispered and kissed her.

Her lips were salty and soft, she kissed me back this time and her tongue darted into my mouth, fighting for power against mine. I moved my hands up into her hair, I missed how soft it felt in my hands and how easily it got tangled up in my fingers. Jane's hands trailed down my waist, and she pushed me back against the laneway wall. We were hidden in the shadows and as I moved my lips down Jane's neck she began to softly moan.

"Let's go to mine," she whispered.

In the taxi to her house they could hardly keep their hands off each other. Jane laughed into Everlyn's ear as she tried to manoeuvre Jane's fly with one hand while texting Steph apologies and lies of sickness resulting in a trip home with the other hand.

"Shh," Everlyn whispered but also giggled to Jane.

The taxi driver was staring into his rear vision mirror judgementally and they couldn't have pulled up outside Jane's place sooner. They stumbled up the stairs and into her clean, neat apartment. Even in the midst of Everlyn's drunken haze, she could still see Jane's humble wealth throughout the apartment in the carpet that was softer than her own, in the paint that probably had a first and last name, in the blinds that were probably sourced from some major city. Everlyn's phone binged and she pulled it out of her pocket whilst quickly pulling off the heel she'd fussed about early. That all felt like years ago, like another boring life.

"Steph said it's fine, she hopes that I'm not too hungover in the morning."

Jane threw her keys down on the bench and moved over to Everlyn, she smiled wickedly. "You might not even realise it's morning when I'm done with you."

Everlyn bit her lip and let Jane lead her to the bedroom, finally her life was getting interesting.