Engagement Party

It was the engagement party, the night had only just begun but already it hung heavy with excitement, love and happiness and as Everlyn stared at herself in the mirror getting ready to leave for the venue she could honestly say she'd never been happier.

"Ready?" James asked, coming up behind her and kissing her neck.

She smiled and turned around into him. "Ready."

The party had come together quickly. After only two weeks of being engaged they were ready to celebrate it, partly because James had so confidently booked and organised a place before Everlyn said yes and partly because all their friends and family were so excited that they cancelled all plans that didn't concern the engagement.

When James and Everlyn walked into the function room there was a round of applause and wolf whistles from their guests and they were quickly whisked away from each other. Everlyn felt anxious and small when away from James - her strong, solid barrier from the bad - and even when showing cousins and distant friends her ring she was in two minds because she kept scanning the crowd for him. She would always see him talking nonchalantly, beer in hand and his calmness stirred a kind of annoyance in Everlyn, she felt like she was suffering while he took it all in his stride.

"For a while, yes," Everlyn replied to the comment about the amount time James and her had been together. She was flustered, she'd been talking non stop about herself and the ring and James and their children and the wedding for an hour and she had not enjoyed herself or even had a drink at her own party! She was suddenly in a bad mood and she felt horrible for it. 

"Excuse me, I have to go to the bathroom." She smiled politely at James' aunty and walked into the bathroom, taking a deep breath now that she was alone.

She walked out of the bathroom recollect and in high spirits, all she had to do was avoid the people who she didn't want to talk to and the night would be fine. She started to make a beeline for the bar when Clarissa appeared out of nowhere and grabbed her arm. Everlyn felt relief wash over her body and she took a deep breath as Clarissa hugged her tightly. When she held her an arms length away she couldn't help but feel pleased that even in a room full of old friends and family, she was with someone who she saw practically everyday. Everlyn had become a creature of comfort, she'd grown to not like taking risks and settled for whatever was easy.

"God, you look awful," Clarissa remarked.

"Thanks," Everlyn replied with a smile. "I just need a drink, I haven't had one all night."

"Ok, but before we go over to the bar, who's that?" Clarissa asked pointedly.

"More specific please, this place is crawling with people."

"Her."

Everlyn followed Clarissa's nod to the extremely attractive, bored looking woman sitting at the bar. Everlyn's heart sunk and her stomach twisted.