Chapter Eight: Good Night.

Start from the beginning

"Fuck you, Norah!" Harley shouted. "Fuck you!"

I saw that tears were spilling from her eyes now.

Wyatt started moving towards the exit doors with Harley, who was just crying now and had given up on the screaming, in a weird trance, her wet eyes lingering on nothing in particular, like she was drunk.

Axelle and I followed. I looked back and met Norah eye-to-eye for a second or two before following them out. She was just standing there, watching us.

We went out into the parking lot. Harley was still in Wyatt's arms, holding onto him, still crying. It was night time now and the sky was starless and black.

Wyatt set her down on the ground beside Axelle's car and then pulled her into an embrace.

Harley cried into his shirt. We could do nothing but watch awkwardly. At least, I was feeling awkward. Axelle looked pissed, if anything.

After a while of just standing around, I built up the nerve to address the elephant in. . . the parking lot.

"Who is Norah?"

Harley let out a tired sigh at my question.

"Wha- I wanna know, damn it!" I said, indignantly, hands on my hips.

"She's just an asshole. There. You have your answer," Wyatt deadpanned.

"Yeah, no shit. I want to know what's going on," I said.

"Look, now's not the time," Axelle said.

"I'm taking her home," Wyatt said. "Ella? Could you drive?"

"Okay, no," Harley suddenly said, pushing herself away from him. She was still staring at the ground. "I'm not ruining the night for you guys. Go back inside."

"Harley-" Wyatt began.

"I said no, Wy. Go back in. Take Axelle with you. I'll get home on my own. Even you, Sam. Go back in."

"Okay, I get Wyatt's part. I'm your date, Harley. I'm supposed to drop you back home anyway," I chimed in. The three of them just stared at me.

"What?" I said.

"Go. Back. Inside," Harley groaned.

"No."

"You can't get away with saying no to everything."

"Oh, I'm getting away with it alright. And I'm staying over at your place. It's a Saturday, anyway. I'm raiding your closet and eating out of your fridge. You know what, it's a damn sleepover," I said and grabbed Harley's arm.

"Go back inside and have fun, guys," I said, smiling at them cheerfully.

"Samantha-" Harley said.

"No, it's Sam. And shut the fuck up."

After a few seconds, the concern slipped away from Wyatt's face and he just smiled slightly.

"Take care of her, will you?"

"For sure!" I gave him a thumbs up. Axelle just shook her head at me, but smiled either way.

"I'm not a fucking baby," Harley grumbled. I used my free hand to smack her across the head.

"I said, shut up!" I said and began pulling her away towards my car. Defeated, she followed me in silence after that.

She got in and I shut the door after her. We drove in silence, out of the school premises and through the streets leading to her place.

When we reached her place, I parked my car just outside her garage. Inside, a car was already parked.