Chapter 7

Annabeth pov:

I turned to Chiron who hadn't left the spot he was at, yet.

"Chiron... What was that?" I asked. Chiron looked puzzled.

"Annabeth?" Chiron asked. I took off my cap and appeared in front of the old centar.

"Who else?" I asked. Chiron smiled at me.

"So... What exactly happened? I mean what happened to Chad? Zain's eyes turned black and Chad fell." I said pointing to Chad not even bothering to look at him. Chiron's face went from happiness to sorrow instantly.

"Some heroes... don't get a happy beginning." Chiron said before turning around and walking back to the big house.

"Wait! What does a bad past have to do with what just happened?" I asked. Chiron just kept walking not even giving a sign that he heard me. 'I guess I'll have to get answers myself.' I thought as I put on my cap and dashed off in the same direction as Zain.

I came to the entrance to the woods and saw dead grass in the shape of footprints going into the woods. After what I just witnessed five minutes ago, I knew they had to be Zain's. I followed the footprints as they led me deeper into the woods. I passed Zeus's fist, bunker nine, and some traps that were forgotten about, when the Hephaestus cabin was trying to catch Festus.

I kept walking for what seemed like hours but was probably only thirty minutes. The footsteps continued on, until it went through to the end of the forest line.

I continued to walk forward when I saw Zain sitting in front of me on the edge of a rock cliff. He was looking out over the cliff at a beautiful view of the forest below and the ocean behind it.

I started to creep around to see if I could learn anything when I stepped on a branch causing a loud *snap!* . Zain was startled and turned around at the sound but relaxed when he didn't see anything. He turned back around and continued to look at the view. I thanked the gods that I had my baseball cap.

After ten minutes of watching him do nothing, I decided to make my presence known.

"So... Zain isn't it?" I asked taking my cap off as I walked over to him. He looked at me and nodded his head, "... You don't seem to talk much." I stated. He just raised his eyebrows in a questioning look. "So what happened between you and Chad?" I asked.

He turned his head back towards the horizon not saying anything. I waited but he didn't respond. "Umm... Zain? You still with me?" I asked. Zain slowly turned his head to face me then nodded.

The weird thing though, was that his eyes didn't hold the merriment or excitement of someone his age. Instead they held the saddest look. It was a mixture of unimaginable pain, sorrow, and grief.

"What's wrong? Are you ok?" I asked sympathetically. He shook his head no. Then turned his head back to the horizon. "Will you tell me?" I asked. He shook his head no. "Come on. You can talk to me." I said. He shook his head no. "Why? Because you can't or you won't?" I said getting annoyed.

I am trying to talk to him and he won't even speak to me. He kept his gaze in the same place but lifted his hand and put one finger up. 'What does that mean one minute?' I thought. 'Or does he mean something else?... Wait. 1. Like a first option... Oh gods.' I thought in my head.

He put his hand down and continued to not look at me.

"A-are you not able to speak?" I asked with my voice catching on the first word, "A mute?" I asked. His head sank down and he gave me a light nod. A few minutes of silence passed between us then I heard a growl come from behind us. We both looked and saw a hellhound the size of a car come out of the forest. He looked at us and bared its teeth, as it growled again.