Door Twenty-Nine: An Echo From The Past

a/n: i changed my cover but i still wanted to thank MaddieEllen again just in case anyone wanted to know who made it!

"YA COMISTES?" INDIRA'S mother asked, inquiring if she had already eaten. Julia always made lunch at exactly noon sharp, a little tradition she upheld from her late mother. Indira only responded with the shake of her head, knowing that her answer of only having a coffee to digest would be of disapproval to her. It had been quite a long time since they've seen each other, let alone spoken to each other. After their fight, Julia hardly called at her usual time, and when her daughter fought her grudge to finally speak with her, only a few sentences were shared. Indira hated not being in good graces with her mother, but this time she had gone too far.

According to Luce, she had admitted to her older sister that their mom never really expanded on what happened between them and Victor. Indira felt bad that even after the exploitation, the truth has still been hidden from her. She wanted to tell her sister about what happened with her biological father, but every time she'd bring it up, her heavy concern followed by a wave of tears never allowed her to utter more than a few sentences. It was hard trying to recollect all those awful memories and then spew them back out as if they haven't dealt her enough trauma through the years.

"Where's Luce?"

"Sleeping, of course. You know that girl is always asleep at this time."

Indira was strong enough to let out a small laugh, knowing that the habits of her younger red-headed sister always made her laugh. "Let her sleep," she stopped her mother from barging in her room.

Julia didn't argue. There was an obvious tension in the air that Indira couldn't shake, and it was probably because they have yet to resolve the predicament of the last argument which was a few months back, which was around the time she had first met Harry.

Julia turned back towards the kitchen to turn off the stove that was cooking up sancocho in large white soup pot. The hearty stew was perfect for the day since it had been raining nonstop since morning. With a ladle, she poured her daughter the stew filled with meat and vegetables in a bowl and placed it in front of her. She thanked her and began to eat quietly beside her.

Indira, though, wasn't just visiting for a hot bowl of soup. In all honesty, she had felt lonely. Her one close friend had seemed to turn her back on her for something that should never have troubled her, and Harry who has been on and off for an entire month. After the party together, Harry hardly ever replied her text messages and when she wanted to stop by his house, he would either decline or just say he was out of town. As much as it hurt to be turned away by someone who she was developing feelings for, she had to understand (or rather force herself to understand) that Harry was a celebrity. He had a movie that he needed to work on and other professional commitments that he had made prior to even knowing she existed. She knew this was coming, but to actually see it happen, to have the ache of losing another friend...

It hurt more than it should have, and she wondered if he had felt the same way.

A few hours later, Indira, her mother, and younger sister headed only half an hour away from the city to a local mall. It has been awhile since they've gone out as a family, so it was enough to keep her distracted thoughts at bay. The car ride was hardly silent with Luce singing along to her playlist blaring through the speakers, and when it was, it was only because Julia was talking to her brother, whom she was very close with, over the phone.

With the summer rain, it brought everyone seek cooler shelter inside. It was raining so hard, she could hear the heavy water drops pelt against the mall's glass paned roof.