32 - Welcome To The World

Jacob blossomed over the next few months trying his best to get to grips with fatherhood. Despite looking after John most of the time after he was born, Jacob hadn't imagined he'd have to do it all over again and then some. Thankfully he had Carmina to practice on and even though Nick and Kim were hesitant at first, they were humbly surprised by how tentative he could be.

'Okay kiddo, in ya go.' He held the naked baby in his hands and moved to plop her in the small bath.

'Wait!' I stopped him, raising an eyebrow. 'You've got to check the water first.' Jacob rolled his eyes and moved Carmina onto his shoulder. Rolling his sleeve up, he dunked his elbow into the water before nodding.

'S'fine.' With that, he slipped the little baby into the bath and she bumbled happily. Jacob's large hands cupped some water and slowly let it drench over Carmina's head. It was like watching a completely different person. That wasn't to say he didn't have his moments. I was sitting in the living room with Kim and Nick, Carmina patting my big belly with her tiny hand when we heard a crash.

'What the?' My gaze turned to the closed bedroom door and I got up, waddling over. Opening it up I stifled a laugh at the sight of wooden beams littering the floor.

'This stupid fuckin' thing doesn't make any sense.' Jacob grumbled, slamming the piece of paper in his hand onto the floor in a huff. The Rye's had found a cot hidden at the back of the bunker. It'd been a wedding present from an overly enthusiastic aunt and they'd completely forgotten about it, storing it away in the basement. The cherry on top of the cake was that it was flatpack.

'Do you want Nick to come and help?'

'No.' He said indignantly, picking up one of the pieces of the frame and staring at it in annoyance.

'Okay, if you're sure.' Closing the door, I made my way back over to the Nick and Kim.

'Is he okay?' Kim asked but I held a hand up.

'Just wait.' Counting to ten in my head, I heard the bedroom door click open and Jacob stuck his head out of the gap.

'Rye, c'mere a sec.' He beckoned Nick over and I grinned.

'Need some help huh?' I jested and Jacob grimaced.

'No. Just, uh, need him to look at somethin'.' He lied as Nick got up and entered the bedroom.

'If they don't come out in ten minutes, we better go make sure they didn't kill each other.' Kim giggled and I snorted, taking a seat on the floor again to carry on playing with Carmina. It was strange to get used to but in his own special way, Jacob was proving to us that he could be a good dad. He was regimented and dedicated; overly protective of me and our unborn child in every sense of the word.

'You can't have that.' He groused, snatching the cup of coffee from my hand as I plonked down on the sofa early one morning.

'I'm allowed one! Kim says it won't affect my milk-'

'No. You're not having any.' He chugged it before I could take it back. God knows that my exhausted body would benefit from a little bit of caffeine but Jacob wouldn't risk it. When aches kept me awake in the night, his immediate concern was that something wrong.

'It's normal Jake.'

'Are you sure?' He asked, arm curling protectively around my stomach in a desperate attempt to cradle me and the baby all at once.

'Certain.' I smiled softly as he planted a rough kiss to my skin. Nothing was taking this away from him. But despite all of our planning, we couldn't have prepared for the actual event itself. A strange rushing feeling tore through my sleeping frame and I shot upright. My legs were soaked and it was seeping straight into the sheets.