25 - Boot Camp

The warm duvet was ripped from my body and I instinctively curled up, blinking my eyes open wearily. Jacob towered over me, the blanket held up in one his hands.

'Hey!' I groaned, cradling myself for warmth.

'Get up. Your training starts now.' He ordered, dropping the duvet on the end of the bed and pulling me to my feet.

'What time is it?' I mumbled, rubbing my eyes woozily.

'5am.' Jacob handed me a plate with some meat and vegetables on it. 'Eat this and get dressed. I'll be waiting outside.' He strode out the door and I plonked back down onto the mattress. He was taking this very seriously. Shovelling my breakfast into my mouth, I yanked my clothes on and headed out onto the porch to meet him.

'Okay so I thought you could-'

'Be quiet.' Jacob interrupted me, pinching me lips closed. 'You're a good fighter pup but you need a lotta work to be able to face my brother.' I batted his hand off of me and frowned.

'You're kidding right? I've taken out John and Faith on my own and I nearly killed you! How hard can Joseph be? He doesn't do anything.'

'That's where you're wrong. My brother's smart and strong. He'd kill you within minutes of you stepping onto that compound.'

'I thought you were the strongest?' I folded my arms and cocked an eyebrow.

'I am. But I'm militant and predictable. Joseph isn't. That's why we need to heighten your skills. Stamina, strength, close combat, stealth and endurance; all of these things you can do but you're not great at them.' Jacob leaned down and plucked his dog-tags from my neck, looping them back onto his own. 'You have to earn these. Now c'mon, we'll start with stamina.'

Stamina

'We're gonna do some cross country. I want you to keep up with me at all times. If I slow down, you slow down. If I speed up, you speed up. And no stopping. Got it?' Jacob stretched his back out and I copied, feeling my spine click into place.

'This'll be easy.' I grinned as he started to lightly jog. I kept in step beside him, breathing deeply through my nose and then out of my mouth. Suddenly, Jacob burst into a fast sprint. 'Oh! Wait!' I bleated, chasing after him but not being able to catch up. Eventually I had to stop, leaning against a tree as my pulse raged in my throat.

'I told you no fuckin' stopping!' Jacob berated me, running back towards where I was gasping for breath. 'How the fuck did ya even pass your police exam?'

'I... scraped... by...' Bracing my hands on my knees, I hacked a cough and saw the solider roll his eyes. He man-handled me up and pushed me to make me run.

'Move!' He snapped and I found myself floundering along even though I was exhausted.

Strength

Still reeling from the running, I tottered behind Jacob as he led me to a nearby tree. Jumping up, he grabbed a gnarled branch and started to do pull-ups with ease before jumping back down again.

'You have great strength in your legs but your arms let ya down. That's why ya feel the recoil so bad when you shoot anythin'.' He gestured up to the branch. 'Gimme ten pull-ups.'

'I'm tired, can't we have a break?' I whined but swiftly stopped when I saw his unrelenting glower. 'Fine, I'm going!' Weakly leaping up into the air, I tried to reach the branch but I was too short. 'It's too high.' I grumbled.