4 - Disease

A further five days had passed. It felt like I was dying. Every breath I took rattled through my body and came out as a heavy wheeze. Just lifting my head took copious amounts of effort, sickness ladening my bones. The bite on my arm was now oozing brown puss; the infected skin surrounding the wound a green colour. Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad to die this way? I mean I'd got two out of the four Seeds. Maybe the Resistance would get a boost from losing me? They could fight in my name, like I was some sort of martyr.

'Get up.' Jacob's gruff voice interrupted my thoughts. I didn't even try, knowing full well I had barely enough energy to keep breathing let alone move. Splayed across the floor, my chest rose and fall indistinguishably. 'I said get up!'  He threw what felt like a rock at me. It thudded heavily against my hip but I barely felt the impact. A desperate wheeze escaped my lungs as the hot sun beat down onto what I considered to be my corpse. 'For fuck's sake.' Despite his annoyed tone, I heard Jacob unlock the padlock that held me captive. The galvanised gate creaked open and he stepped inside, stomping over to me. Looping one arm around my waist, Jacob scooped me up and slung me over his shoulder like a hessian sack. He carried me close despite his men giving puzzled looks. 'Get back to work!' Head swimming, his voice almost echoed and wavered in my ears. This didn't feel real. 'C'mon pup.'

Upon shoving the door to the veteran's centre open, I felt a slight rush of relief waft over me. My skin appreciated being sheltered from the harsh sunlight. Flitting in and out of consciousness, my limp body swayed over Jacob's shoulder as he descended downstairs. I came around again when my spine connected with a freezing metallic surface. He'd lay me down on what felt like an autopsy table.

'Ugh...' Coughing harshly, it was as though my lungs were going to come flying out of my mouth. A bright white light shone down on me, Jacob adjusting it to focus the beam on my arm.

'I told ya to let me fix it up. Now it's fucked.' Irritated, he sighed heavily. 'So fucking stubborn.' He muttered under his breath, walking over to a nearby metal table and rooting through what looked like a toolbox.

'Just let me die.' My mouth was so damn dry that the words could barely form. Each movement of my tongue grated on the back of my throat.

'Shut up.' Jacob instructed, plunging a scalpel into me. If I had any energy I would've been writhing around but at this point I was too exhausted to care. The tugging at my nerves with the blade sent my brain into a frenzy. Even though the pain receptors were firing it was as though I couldn't feel it. Tilting my head back against the cool surface beneath the weight of my body, I let unconsciousness wash over me like a tidal wave.

***

A comfortable warmth surrounded me like a blanket as I stirred awake. Fabric enveloped my body and I soon realised that the hard table had turned into a soft mattress. Was I dreaming? Pushing myself up onto my elbows, I took in the features of the room. It was simple and understated, mostly wooden furniture and plain coloured walls. My gaze fell onto the camouflage jacket that hung from a hook on the closed door. Whipping my head around, I then picked up on the war medals sitting in a dusty case atop the nightstand beside me.

'Nice of you to finally wake up pup.' The handle of the door bent down and Jacob entered. His grey t-shirt clung to his toned stomach whilst his biceps stretched the fabric around his arms. 'S'been a while.' My attention was drawn away from his physique for a split second.

'How long have I been out?' I mumbled, only now realising that my arm was bandaged up.

'Two days.' Jacob folded his arms across his chest and nodded towards his handiwork. 'Cleaned it up for ya.'

'Why?' He'd barely finished speaking before I leapt in. It made no sense. I was his enemy and he'd not only let me live but he'd cured me as well. Jacob didn't dignify me with an answer for a minute or so. Instead he braced his hands on the wooden end of the bed and stared at me hard. Those ocean blue eyes briefly softened and gave the guise of a much younger man.

'Athena...' My name escaped his lips just as his brow furrowed aggressively. 'Hmph.' Releasing his grip on the gnarled oak, he pointed a mottled finger at me. 'How many times I gotta tell you that you'll die workin' alone?'

'I don't see why it matters. Your end goal is to see me dead isn't it?' Folding my arms, my fingers grazed the bandaged wound and I winced.

'Not until you've served your purpose.' The ginger haired man shrugged defensively. My eyes moved to linger on the burnt and scarred skin covering his arms. I'd obviously stared for too long because he gave a loud cough to gain my attention back.

'What happened to you Jake?' Concern etched in my voice. He gave a small twitch of his neck but said nothing. Flopping back into the pillows, a weary sigh filled the room before dissipating quickly. 'I can't help you if you don't talk to me.'

'I don't need your help.' He spat, curling his arms around himself. 'Just... rest. Big things are coming tomorrow.' With that, he made his way out of the room and slammed the door behind him. Rolling onto my front, I buried my cheek deep into the soft cushion and stared at the medals so neatly lined up in their case. The war. Something had happened in the war.