11 - High Praise

2003.

The cool wind wrapped around my legs and buffeted my skirt. Pushing it down with my free hand, I chatted down the phone to my boyfriend Henry.

'Are you excited for tonight?' He buzzed down the line as I walked with a skip in my step.

'I can't wait!' I chirped happily. 'Still can't believe you got tickets!'

'You know me babe, absolutely magical.' He joked and I laughed with a little too much gusto.

'There's no better way to celebrate our three year anniversary by seeing AC/DC live.' Walking past the homeless shelter, I sped my pace up. Rome was a nice city but as a young woman I didn't like to linger too long around the poorer areas of town. There'd been far too many attacks on girls in the last few months for my liking.

'Okay well I gotta get back to work. I'll pick you up at six okay?'

'Six, perfect. I love you!' A flush of happiness welled in my stomach as I said the words.

'I love you too sweetie.' He replied, cutting off the line shortly after. Pocketing my phone, I sighed whimsically. How had I gotten so lucky? Walking along the pavement, I suddenly became aware of someone striding a few paces behind me. Pausing, I looked over my shoulder and cocked my head. A hooded figure lingered close to one of the walls of the back alley behind the shelter. He didn't seem to be paying attention to me in particular. Shaking my head, I carried on my way and rounded a corner. My neat little black shoes made a light tapping sound on the concrete which was soon offset by  a heavier clunking sound behind me. Heart starting to thump, I looked again and saw the same figure tailing me. Scared, I started to walk faster. Darting across the road, the screech of wheels and the honk of a horn made me jump. Throwing my hands onto the bonnet, I mouthed an apology before running as quickly as I could onto the kerb. Sprinting around another tight corner I breathlessly jogged up the stairs on the front porch to my house and fumbled with my key. 'C'mon, c'mon.' I tried to still my trembling hands and relief flooded through me as I turned the lock and got inside. Slamming the door, I peeked out of the blinds of the window that looked out onto the road. There was no sign of the guy who had been following me. Sighing heavily, I gave myself a tight squeeze. Maybe I'd just overreacted.

6:03pm

I checked the clock again in the front room. It was so unlike Henry to be late. Perhaps the traffic was bad? I flicked my hair over my shoulders and gave it some volume with my fingers. He'd be here any minute.

6:30pm

Biting down hard on my lip, I refreshed my message inbox over and over. Nothing. Where was he?

7:00pm

My thirteenth call went straight to voicemail. Heart in my throat, I wondered whether something had happened to him. Maybe he'd been in a car crash?

9:00pm

Tears streaming down my face, I sat on my couch and sobbed. What had I done to deserve this? What had happened in a matter of hours to make Henry not show? Sniffing hard, I got up and went to close the curtains knowing that I may as well go to bed. As I took the fabric into my hands, I stopped. Squinting into the darkness, I swore I could see someone standing across the road. Shaking it off, I slammed the curtains closed and traipsed upstairs to bed. I never saw Henry again after that night.

2018.

I awoke from my reign of terror in Jacob's bed. My dreams had been more like memories as I recalled the day Henry had vanished in vivid detail. Maybe it was a side effect of the conditioning. Rubbing my temple I only then realised that my arms were covered in dry blood. As if on cue, Jacob came in. He stood at the end of the bed with a proud smile on his face.

'You did well last night.'

'High praise coming from you.' My lip curled in disgust at the sight of him but he seemed unbothered. Walking around, he took my chin into his hand and tilted it from side to side.

'Barely a scratch on ya. Good.' He smiled again and I recoiled away from him.

'Oh really? What do you call this then?!' Waving my blood stained arms in his face, he chuckled.

'S'not yours pup.' He shrugged, offering his hand to me. Reluctantly I took it and allowed him to pull me upright.

'How many people did I kill?' I whispered quietly. Jacob's hands braced onto my shoulders and he walked me out of the bedroom and down the corridor.

'S'not important.' He murmured into my ear, guiding me into a pristine bathroom. Steaming hot water cascaded inside a glass panelled shower and I suddenly had the desire to be clean. I didn't know how long it'd been since I'd had a proper shower. 'Figured you might wanna wash.'

'T-thanks.' I stammered. Jacob let go of me and left, leaving the door ajar behind him. Peeling my blood splattered clothes away, I hopped inside and relished the feeling of warm water pattering against my dirty body. Turning to face the shower head, I let the droplets hammer against me and swept my hands through my soaked hair. It was like having bullets rain down on me except they never broke the skin. Picking up the bottle of shampoo, I squirted the liquid into my palm before rubbing it across my head. Rinsing the suds, my shoulders tensed as the shower door opened and a cold torso pressed against my back.

'Feelin' better pup?' Jacob cooed, his hands running down my curves.

'Are you serious right now?' I still felt bitter from the other night but Jacob didn't seem to care. He rolled his thumbs against the joints in my shoulders and I couldn't help but grow slack at his touch. Letting out a hitched breath, I bent my back towards him. My ass pushed against his groin and he let out a deep groan. 'We shouldn't.' Letting the water splash over my chest, I bit my lip and closed my eyes.

'Course we shouldn't.' Jacob breathed, his hands wandering up and down my back. Every calloused press from his palms made my nerve-endings fire uncontrollably. Grip moving to my thigh, he hoisted my leg up and eased himself into me slowly.

'Shit...' My throat burned from the amount of steam that was swirling in the glass container. Palm pressed against the condensation that had gathered on one of the panels, I rolled my hips against Jacob's and felt him shudder. He started with a gentle rocking motion so I bent myself over further to give him more room to move. Leaning down, Jacob pressed a heated kiss to my drenched back and upped his pace viciously. He was already close, I could feel him growing stiffer inside me. His tip repeatedly hit me in the perfect spot and I let out a gentle moan which seemed to send him over the edge.

'Fuck.' He grunted incoherently as he filled me up, palm pressing down against the base of my spine. Taking a few deep breaths, the soldier pulled out of me and got out the shower, wrapping a towel around his middle. 'I want you gone in an hour.' Jacob instructed even though I was still bent over catching my breath.

'You've gotta be kidding me?' I huffed, pulling myself upright and almost falling backwards. My legs were like jelly.

'Does it look like I'm joking?' He raised one ginger eyebrow and ran a hand through his orange hair. 'One hour. Or I'll put you outside for another six days.'