16 - Look After You

My escape from the Veteran's Centre had gone without a hitch and though I was a little bashed up from falling from the top of the lorry, I was okay. It was then a case of trying to avoid Jacob at all costs. He started out by trying to tune into my radio but at the very hint of his voice, I'd switch it off and carry on with my day. He fed Only You into the local radio stations in the hopes that it'd lure me back. Thankfully, Wheaty managed to hack into the local radio tower and give me a warning when the song was transmitting. I felt refreshed and renewed, my weight was back to normal too. I was surrounded by those who cared about me and it was the most content I'd felt in a long time.

Lying back onto the camp bed in my room at the Wolf's Den, I stared contentedly up at the steel ceiling. My head was cradled by my palm as I let out a long, relaxed exhale. The day had been filled with liberating outposts, diving into Prepper stashes and a lot of fishing. My muscles were exhausted and I was looking forward to a long sleep. My other hand rested on my bare stomach, hair pooling over my shoulders. Closing my eyes, I felt the tension leave my body in a wave of relaxation.

'Deputy?' The sound of my radio buzzing to life disturbed my rest.

'Noooooo...' I groaned, rubbing at my eyes sleepily. I'd had a couple of hours of sleep but it wasn't nearly enough. Rolling onto the hard floor, I struggled to my feet and took the black receiver into my hand. Slumping back down on the mattress, I ran my fingers through my hair and pushed down on the button. 'Deputy here, how can I help?' I tried to hide the tiredness leaking out of my voice with a cheery tone. There was a long pause and I sighed, pressing the button down again. 'Hello? Anyone there?'

'I'm here.' I recoiled at the sound of the gruff voice, holding the radio at arms length. My finger and thumb reached for the power switch. 'Don't turn me off.' Jacob grunted but my fingers began to nimbly turn the dial, sending static down the line. 'Please.' Woah. Something must be bad if he's using pleasantries.

'I'll give you five seconds to explain why the fuck you're tuning into my radio.' I hissed quietly, hoping nobody would hear.

'Why did you even answer if you're just gonna berate me?' Sarcasm dripped in his tone.

'Goodbye Jacob.' I huffed, turning the knob again and flopping back onto the mattress.

'No wait!' Desperation and distress leaked out of the speaker. I'd never heard him like that. Sitting back up slowly, I clutched the radio in my hand. 'I-' His breath hitched. It sounded like he'd been crying.

'Jacob what's going on?' My hostility flipped into concern almost immediately. I could hear his ragged breathing down the line but he said nothing more. 'I'm coming.' I finalised, taking my thumb off the button and throwing my clothes on. For once I knew this wasn't a trap. Jacob would never act so vulnerable to get me. It wasn't in his nature. Padding quietly through the bunker, I made my way to the exit ladder and clambered out into the cold night.

I hadn't anticipated how freezing it was outside. Hugging myself, I ran as quickly as I could across the region and towards the Veteran's centre. I stopped just short of the iron gates, aware of the night patrol circulating around the courtyard. Dropping to a crouch, I snuck around the wall and found a craggy gap. Wooden pallets had been placed over it from the inside but I could just squeeze behind them. Pressing myself into the shadows, I shuffled my way round to the side of the building and caught sight of Jacob's open bedroom window.

'Okay.' I murmured to myself quietly, watching the movement patterns of the guards. Once an opening came, I produced my grappling hook from around my waist and threw it up to the window. The grapple planted into the wooden frame, allowing me to quickly climb up and hop inside. 'Jacob?' I whispered into the darkness as my eyes adjusted. There wasn't a sound. Piling my climbing equipment into the corner, I tip-toed to the bedroom door. I poked my head out and looked down the corridor apprehensively. The bathroom door was slightly ajar. Without hesitation, I hurried over and carefully pushed it fully open. I was brought to a complete halt at the sight before me. Jacob sat in just his black boxers, his back pressed against the glass panelling of the shower. His legs were tucked up, arms resting on his knees whilst his face remained buried in his palms. The door closing behind me alerted him and he looked up surprised. His blue eyes were puffy and red, cheeks burning a bright pink which was only amplified by the wet stains that were smeared all over them. His normally neat ginger hair was dangling over his forehead and looked damp with sweat.