1 - Welcome Back

My scuffed boots teetered on the threshold between Holland Valley and the Whitetail Mountains. Faith and John were gone. Long gone. But this? This was not what I had anticipated. My past with Jacob Seed was a chequered one but he was by far one of the only people I'd ever cared about.

1983.

I remembered that year well because it was the first time I'd met Jacob in the flesh. I lived on a decent estate in Rome and came from a good family. My mum and dad didn't earn megabucks but we had enough to stay afloat and live comfortably. For that reason though it meant I was enrolled in one of the rougher state schools. Good God how I hated it. My class was huge, easily over thirty kids and the lessons were boring. What was even worse was that I was regularly picked on by Billy Dobbs and his gang of goons in the year above. For an eight year old I was pretty short so it made it easier for the older boys to shove me over and take my stuff. It was always after school that they'd jump me. During lunchtimes I could hide in the toilets or help Mrs Ponie clean up the classroom but once the bell dinged at 3pm there was no escape.

That day it was my own fault. Backpack slung over my shoulders, I scurried out into the playground and made my way as quickly as I could to the gate. In front of me little Joe Seed trundled along, his head tilted towards the ground. He was in the same year as me but was notoriously quiet. He also seemed to be called to the principal's office regularly despite never really doing anything. My eyes were drawn to a huge fresh cut on the nape of his neck that peeped out from beneath his blazer. How on Earth had he managed that?

'Oi, swotty!' Billy's booming voice echoed in my ears and I froze like a deer in headlights. I'd been so distracted I must've slowed down my pace. Clutching onto the straps of my bag, I hurriedly tried to carry on to the gate. But I was far too slow. Snatching one of my plaited pig-tails in his hand, Billy yanked me backwards and I fell down. Splaying my palms out behind me I felt small shards of gravel stab into my skin. My lip wobbled in pain and tears threaten my eyes. Rough-housing me, Billy and his friends tore my backpack from my shoulders and tipped the contents onto the floor. A few coins that I kept at the bottom incase of emergencies bounced onto the ground. Billy hoovered them up into his hands rapidly, shoving them deep into his lint filled pockets. At the sight of my reading glasses on the floor a cruel smile spread across his freckled face.

'P-Please, I need those-' I protested but knew it was pointless. In one fell swoop, Billy's foot connected with them and reduced them to nothing but glass shards.

'HEY!' A furious yell boomed from the gate. Sniffing, I used my arm to rub my bleary eyes and saw a tall boy approaching. His hair was a fiery red and his eyes a piercing blue. An enraged expression had spread across his face. Jacob Seed, Joe's older brother. He came everyday to pick Joe up and walk him home. I'd never spoken to him before, only seen him lingering impatiently for his younger brother at the roadside. At twelve years old, Jacob was much taller than Billy and could most definitely pack a hefty punch. Striding over, Jacob's fists were already balled as Joseph trailed behind him nervously.

'Jacob we're gonna be late home...' Joseph's tiny voice was drowned out by his brother.

'This'll only take a second.' Without hesitation, Jacob grabbed Billy from the front of his shirt and thrust him up against the nearest wall. My backpack fell from his grip. 'Why don't you pick on someone your own size asshole?' He growled, slamming the frightened ten year old against the brickwork. Billy's friends scarpered, ditching him to be butchered by Jacob.

'I-I-I-' Billy stuttered and soon received a hard punch in the nose. Loosening his grip, Jacob let the boy slide to the floor as he cradled his now bleeding nose.

'Get lost kid.' The ginger teenager snapped before walking over and helping me up. Billy took his leave, scrambling away like a wounded animal. I trembled under Jacob's grip that held so much strength behind it. Once on my feet, I bent down and began to pick my things up. Shoving them awkwardly into my discarded bag, I huffed a little.