Chapter 28, Part 2: Penny's POV

As I waited for Cooper in my room, I could hear some commotion going on downstairs. It sounded like Owen and Dana were shouting at each other about something, but I couldn't bring myself to care enough to get up and see what was going on—as much as I loved him, I'd had enough of Owen for one day.

Once the commotion seemed to move upstairs, it became increasingly harder for me to focus on the homework I was trying to get done. I got up from my desk and went to close my bedroom door, but stopped myself as I nearly slammed the door in Cooper's face, which seemed to appear out of nowhere.

"We need to talk," was all he said as he came into my room while I walked back to my desk.

"You mean you need to talk and I need to listen?" I said as I sat down on my bed.

"No, I mean we both need to talk," Cooper said as he sat in my desk chair. "You need to explain to me why, Penny."

"Why?" ... I looked at Cooper to try and get some context clues, but his exhausted face wasn't giving any away. "Why what?"

"You know what."

I sighed. "Cooper, for the last time, Zach and I weren't doing anything, we've never done anything, and we never will do anything."

"I really don't care whether you've done anything or not, Penny. That doesn't make it okay for you to have him in your dorm room—"

"I know."

"I mean it's never okay, whether the door is open or not."

"I know."

"We told you to stay away from him, Penny. We just had a discussion about it—"

"I said I know!"

"If you know then why were you with him!"

"Because! Because ... I don't know why!"
"You must know why, otherwise you wouldn't have lied to my face about breaking up with him!"

"I'm sorry that I lied Cooper, okay?" I don't know where the hell it came from, but all of a sudden the tears started leaking from my eyes. And these weren't Oh shit I'm about to get my ass whooped tears, these were I actually feel like shit for doing that tears. "I'm sorry."

Cooper sighed as he stood up from the desk chair. I tried to prepare myself for what usually happened when my brother stood up during the middle of our conversation—grabbing my arm, turning me over, and beating my butt—but I guess I didn't need to. Instead of grabbing me for a punishment, Cooper wrapped his arms around me for a hug. I couldn't let myself fully collapse in his arms for some reason, probably because I was so caught off guard that he was hugging me, especially after how pissed off he was at me back in my dorm room.

"While I'm disappointed that you lied to me, that's not my biggest concern at the moment," Cooper said before breaking out of the hug and looking down at me. "I'm concerned that you really thought you were compatible with a jerk like Zach Oliver."

"I didn't know that he was doing that to Owen," I said as I wiped my eyes. "If I did I would have actually broken things off with him a while ago."

"I'm not talking about what he did to Owen."

"Huh?" I looked up at Cooper confused. My whole reason for going off on Zach had stemmed from him having blackmailed Owen, with him screaming at Cooper just being the icing on top of the cake.

"I'm talking about what he did to you."

"To me?"

"Yes, to you."

"What did Zach do to me? I told you we didn't do anything when we were alone—"

"I'm not talking about what he did to you physically, Penny," Cooper said, a hint of annoyance in his voice. Maybe it was a bad idea for me to continue reminding my brother that there were ample opportunities for Zach and me to have slept together. "I'm talking about what he did you mentally. The way that he tried to turn you against your brothers is not okay. No one should ever try to turn you against your own family."