Chapter 20, Part 1: Penny's POV

I couldn't help but smile once my mind had processed what Zach had just asked me. Emmett might have been the right "date" for me, but maybe Zach was the right "guy" for me.

No, not maybe. Definitely.

"Yes."

Zach's eyes widened as if he was shocked by my answer. "Really?" he asked.

"Yes really," I said as I raised an eyebrow. "What, did you want me to say no?"

"No, I just didn't expect you to say yes so easily."

As much as I hated how overprotective my brothers were, I always told myself that if and when a guy asked me out, I wouldn't say no and I wouldn't say yes (even if I wanted to say yes)—I would tell him that I needed to ask permission first. But I was so pissed at Cooper that I couldn't care less whether any of them approved of me dating Zach or not.

"Yeah well, a lot of things aren't really going as planned tonight," I said. "There have been plenty of surprises."

"You can say that again," Zach said. "Like the fact that you actually went to my secret hiding spot on your own."

"It's not really much of a secret since I got in so easily."

"Whatever," he said. "You still don't know my super special place where I like to hide in here."

"Oh really?"

"Nope."

"Well where is it?"

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

"Yes I would." I smirked. "And as your new girlfriend you have to tell me."

"Not so fast," Zach said, quickly smirking right back. "First you have to pass the initiation."

"The initiation?" My smirk dropped. "What is this, a frat house?"

"No, it's just something I like to do with all the girls I bring in here."

I rolled my eyes. "Well gee, that makes me feel special." As Zach gently pulled me closer to him, I looked up at him. "So enlighten me, how many girls have you done this 'initiation' with?"

"Including you ..." Zach looked up as if he were counting. "A total of one."

"Wait what?"

Zach then leaned in and kissed me. Even though I wasn't really expecting it, I didn't pull away at all. I never imagined that I would get my first kiss from my first boyfriend in a shed behind the school after I'd gone to the dance with a different guy ... but I guess there was a first time for everything.

Although there were fireworks as soon as Zach's lips touched mine, the experience wasn't as magical as I'd hoped it would be because we were interrupted by the sound of someone calling my name somewhere outside the shed. "Penny!"

"Damn it," I said as soon as I pulled away from Zach.

"Your brother?" Zach said with a sigh.

"Penny!" The familiar voice said again. This time it sounded closer to the shed.

I nodded. "It sounds like Cooper." I looked out the window to discover I was right. "Stay here," I told Zach quietly.

"Why?"

"Because I don't want him to see you."

"Wow, you're already embarrassed to introduce me as your boyfriend?"

"Penny!" Cooper called again as I looked at Zach with an annoyed face.

"You know it's not like that at all. I just need to find the perfect time to tell my brothers about you, and now is not the time." Zach opened his mouth to speak. "Please, Zach. Just stay in here."