Chapter 17, Part 2: Penny's POV

"Did you hear that someone pulled the fire alarm as a prank?" Caroline asked me as we walked onto the soccer field for practice.

"Oh my gosh, really?" I asked.

"Yeah," she said. "At least, that's the rumor that's going around."

"What an idiot," I said. "No consideration for other people. My biology class had just started our tests that period, and Mr. Juner won't let us finish it tomorrow because we already saw the test uestions, so he's making up a new test for us to take tomorrow."

"We'll that's good," Caroline said. "That means you have more time to study."

"Yeah but I looked at the essay questions on the test we got today and I actually knew the answers to them," I said. "Now who knows what he'll ask."

"Sorry, Penny."

"Don't be—you're not the idiot that pulled it. I'd sure like to meet the person that did."

"Why?"

"So that I could give them a piece of my mind. Why, I would walk right up to them so we were face to face and say—"

"Penny?" said a voice from behind me. I whipped around to see that it none other than Emmett who had stopped my little rant.

"Emmett," I said shocked. Caroline rolled her eyes, probably at how quickly my tone changed. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm on the boys soccer team, remember?" Emmett said.

"No I mean, what are you doing over here on the girls' side? Most of the coaches are out here already—"

"Can I talk to you for a second?" he asked. "... In private?"

We both looked at Caroline. It took her a couple seconds to take the hint. "Oh! Private—I guess I'll just go, you know kick around some balls and stuff ... since I'm so good at it."

"Thanks, Caroline," Emmett said as she then walked away.

"So what's up?" I asked once we were alone. Emmett closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "You're kind of scaring me right now, Emmett."

"I want to ask you something," Emmett said as he rubbed his sweaty palms on his shorts. "And I wanted to do it before I lose the courage to ask."

"Okay ... what is it?"

"I ... I ..."

"It's okay, Emmett, just ask—"

"I wanted to know if you'd go to the homecoming dance with me."

My jaw nearly dropped to the floor. That was probably the last thing I ever expected to come out of his mouth. To be honest, I'd been waiting and hoping and anticipating that Zach would ask me—not because I didn't want Emmett to ask me but I just didn't think he was gonna go with anyone.

"What about your soccer team tradition about going alone?"

"I'm breaking the tradition to go with you," he said. "I mean, if you want to go with me."

"I would love to go with you ..." I looked over to the boys' side of the field and noticed for the first time that Cooper was watching us. "But I'll have to ask my brothers first."

"Coach K's the one who said I should come ask you now in case someone else wants to ask you."

My heart melted. "Aw, you ask my brother for permission?"

"Well I didn't—" Emmett stopped talking as I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him.

"That's the nicest thing a guy has ever done for me." As I came out of the hug, I looked up at him and smiled. "Of course I'll go to the dance with you."