Chapter 4, Part 1: Owen's POV

Fresh paper and chalkboard dust permeated the air as I walked into Ben's classroom. I was slightly shell-shocked by the welcome I had received at the door. My eldest brother had a very cold, stony look about him when he was angry. I was expecting him to be more than angry when I walked in. However, I was greeted not with an iceberg, but with a radiating sun; Ben seemed completely oblivious to what his siblings had been up to on their first day of school.

Danny was gaping, head swiveling between me and the door. He knew my brothers were "drama queens" at the best of times; this lack of reaction had him as confused as I was.

We chose seats towards the back again, opting to stay out of the line of fire- if there even was one. Perhaps Dana and Cooper hadn't been in touch with Ben today; if so, fate could definitely be swaying my way.

The door shut, and the English teacher walked briskly to stand in front of his attentive class. His speech was crisp and to the point- nothing out of the ordinary. As Ben winked at me inconspicuously, I forcefully closed my open mouth, and class began. This was definitely not how I'd pictured my day going.

I escaped not only Ben's class, but the rest of my classes, unscathed. Not that that mattered much, as I was about to face the fire-breathing dragon. The last period of the day was soccer; for once, I wasn't excited. I trudged sullenly towards the field house, imagining the rage boiling within a certain brother's office.

My sulking was interrupted when some fish bounded up to me, all bright eyes and grins. I glared in response. My hostility dampened his demeanor a bit, but he still held out his hand, expecting me to shake it in a friendly greeting.

"Hey, I'm Collin," he remarked, casually dropping his hovering, unshaken hand. He didn't wait for my answer (not that I would have given him one) and continued with eagerness and a touch of pride. "Coach K wants you in the office right away. He said not to worry about dressing out. Sounds important... what do you think he wants?"

So, here it was: my death sentence. Delivered by a kiss ass freshman, of all people. Oh cruel, cruel world...

All right, so my brothers weren't the only "drama queens" among us Kherringtons.

My knight in shining armor appeared in the form of another freshman, yet he was heaven compared to Kiss Ass.

"Collin, lay off. Owen's in a bad spot," Emmett commanded, pushing I'm-desperate-to-be-your-friend away. After the customary guy handshake, he leaned over, so as not to attract listening ears.

"Listen. Coach is pissed and is expecting your ass in his office right now. I don't know what the hell you did, but I haven't seen him this pissed since Dodson was caught doing steroids," he muttered, voice scratchy and nervous. To see their fun-loving, laid back coach this on edge must have been nerve wracking.

"Yeah, yeah, I know all about it. I got into a snit with Yates this morning and he took it out on soccer. He's a fucking bastard, you know that?" I growled, gripping my backpack strap tightly. I was stalking now, my rage propelling me toward the field house at a much faster pace than my sulk. Emmett kept up with me, leaving Kiss Ass behind.

"What the hell did you do?" he asked, pushing his fingers against the warm glass of the outer doors. His face was wary; he knew bad news was coming.

I sighed, wondering how many times I would be asked that today. I could bet on at least three if I knew my brothers as well as I thought I did.

"You know, I really don't wanna talk about it. I'm gonna get enough shit from Cooper. You'll find out soon enough anyway," I ground out, gritting my teeth at the prospect of an Owen-less Willow Academy soccer game. The whole prospect was completely unfathomable.