Part 3: Chapter 7

Sam

Sam

"She's looking good, healthy." Teresa starts, referring to Brenda, as she slices open a small incision into the back of Thomas's neck. "How have you been getting her serum?"

There is a moment of silence before Thomas finally replies, "what are you talking about?"

"Brenda. I didn't think she'd still be alive." Teresa wipes Thomas's neck, and leans for a pair of tweezers. "When was her last treatment?"

I turn back to Gally and Newt, who both have halted in their actions to listen to the tense coversation between Thomas and Teresa.

"The Right Arm, last time we saw you." Thomas confirms, "and Minho." He mutters under his breath. Teresa winces at the mention of his name and sends me a guilty glance.

I glare back at her, my heart aching.

"But that was months ago." She frowns, continuing to poke and prod at Thomas's neck. Thomas winces, jolting away from Teresa, his chair squeaking loudly in the large room.

"Thomas, that's not possible. She should have turned by now, there's no way-" Teresa rants.

Thomas raises to his feet, "alright, that's enough." And begins to walk away.

"You don't believe me?" Teresa whimpers, following the tall brunette.

"You really expect me to?" They stare at eachother for awhile, Teresa's eyes glistening with unshed tears, "you made your choice."

Gally stands up, his tall, dominant frame towering over everyone, "is everything okay over here?"

"Yeah, we're done." Thomas glares at Teresa, turning once again and leaving.

Newt and I glance at eachother subtly, but a glinting knife catches my attention as Teresa reaches for it,

"Nice try." Gally says, grasping her wrist and preventing her from reaching the sharp blade. He then pushes her forwards, a strong hand on her shoulder as they leave the room.

"You kinda have this problem, were you can't walk away from people. Even if you should." Brenda's voice fills the now quiet room, as she cleans and prepares a pistol.

I hold in a laugh, as Thomas realises that she was, in fact, very right.

"You can't save everyone, Thomas." She hands him the gun, as he tugs on his jacket.

"I can try." He replies.

Brenda walks past him after a brief moment of silence, as Newt and I begin to dress as guards, pulling on their boots and attire that we stole, and reloading their guns for the long night ahead of us.

But nothing was going to prepare us for the struggle that awaited.

-----

I tug the mask over my face, concealing my identity. In WCKD's eyes, I now looked like a strangely curvaceous male guard. Or just a female guard, but I hadn't seen any of those yet.

Teresa pulls her brown coat and shoes back on, tugging the piece of string from around her hair as it falls down her back in dark brown waves.

Thomas walked next to the dark haired teen as she strolled through the WCKD headquarters in her high heeled boots.

Newt was next to join their side, as they pass through the security scanners either side of the entrance. The light on the scanner blinks green, and I breath out a small sigh of relief.

From my position next to Gally in the car parking lot, I begin to see movement as Brenda clambers into one of the buses, ducking down and out of sight.

Newt, Thomas and Teresa pass us, and we join their side smoothly, a couple of steps behind Thomas and Newt who were mere inches behind Teresa.

Using Teresa's fingerprint, we slip through the doors, and into a winding, concrete stairwell. Gally rips open the control box, and he plugs in several wires.

"All set?" Thomas says, referring to Lawrence's part of the bargain, we had to shut down WCKD in order for their plan to work.

With Thomas and Teresa in the front, Newt, Gally and I begin to clamber the steps behind them and to our desired floor.

Bile rises in my throat, as I quickly peel off my mask and halting in my steps as the black liquid falls from my mouth once again. I fall onto the banisters for support, my vision becoming blurred.

Confusion washes over me; I had only just taken an injection, leaving only one remaining, that I had generously given to Newt before our rescue mission.

"Sam?" Gally calls out, rushes down the steps towards me.

"I'm okay." I manage to force out, my voice scratchy and strained.

"Just hold on, Minho's just upstairs." He whispers, helping me wipe my mouth and then up the stairs once again, continuing to hide the dreadful news from my brother.

"What took so long?" Thomas asks as we reach our designated floor.

"I hurt my ankle, somehow twisted it on the steps and Gally stopped to help me." I force out, lying through my teeth to my caring brother, who did not deserve to know that his sister was dying from a life-threatening disease that wiped out 3/4 of the earth.

He nods as I wipe a sweaty piece of hair from my face. Newt sends me a knowing, sympathetic look as he follows Thomas and Teresa again.

Teresa uses her fingerprint once again, giving us access to the lab room containing all of the people WCKD used for testing.

With guns blazing, we pile into the room, and wiping out the actual guards gathered around a control panel.

Gally produces a saw from his backpack as he begins to chop through the locked, tough door, containing viles and viles of blue liquids.

Thomas, Newt and I begin to unlock the doors, releasing the confused but glad teenagers from their stuffy cells.

But soon, they were all open, every single teenager in the middle of the controls room. But Minho wasn't one of them, as my heart aches again.

And we had to find him before I ran out of time.