Part 2: Chapter 18

A/N:
<THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS MILD SEXUAL CONTENT AND STRONG LANGUAGE, READ AT YOUR OWN RISK>

A long chapter for you guysss :)

Sam

"Brenda! Brenda!" I whisper-shout, getting her attention as she lifts her head. "You gotta help me. Try to stand up."

She begins to slowly shuffle over to a metal beam that separated the two glass panes; the sound of cracking glass penetrating the deafening silence.

My heartbeat thumps in my ears as she pushes up from the beam and stands on her wobbling legs, outstretching her shaking hand towards me.

As I am reaching out to grasp her hand in mine, there is a loud screech and the door bangs against the wall, and one of the cranks tumble down the concrete wall. Straight for Brenda.

I gasp as she tumbles onto the glass, wrestling with the creature. She outstreches her hand again, trying to reach for me, but the crank drags her backwards and sinks its teeth into her ankle. She cries out in agony and exhaustion, and unclips her dagger from its sheath. She jumps forwards, kicking the crank away, and driving the dagger into the glass pane.

The glass shatters and the crank tumbles into the debris covered streets a long way below us, not before I grab Brenda's hand and dragging her to safety.

-----

After climbing from the tilted building, Brenda leads me to a spiraling staircase, and we slowly begin to descend to the ground.

Brenda falls to a chunk of debris and begins to roll up her jeans from her bleeding ankle. "I'm sorry." I manage to rasp out, staring at her bite mark.

"Its okay, but, its not your fault. And thank you for saving my life." She smiles up at me.

I reach into my bag and produce a bottle of water, crouching down next to Brenda and cleaning her wound. Next, I rip a chunk off material from my t-shirt, exposing my toned stomach, and I wrap it tightly around her bite.

"Thank you." She sobs, throwing her arms around me. I begin to cry too, for Minho, who probably thinks I'm dead, and for Brenda, who has been bitten by a crank and is not immune.

After our brief crying session, we pack up our water bottles and we begin to walk into the small city, the people staring at us with confusion etched on their faces.

Soon, we reach a tall building with a flag drooped over the side, reading Zone A. (I can't remember if it was Zone A or B that they went to the party in).

"We can see if the others went in here, if not then I guess we can loosen up alittle." She shrugs, and I find myself nodding along with her:

"Sure, I could do with a break."