Chapter 23: Alyna

Start from the beginning

You felt yourself freeze all over. His voice was thick with desperation and fear but there was something horribly wrong about the way he spoke the name.

Who's Alyna?

'Are you sure you didn't do anything?' she stopped a few feet away. I winced.

You stopped walking, your feet rooted to the ground. Mason was curled up into a ball, his knees drawn tightly to his chest. His lower lip was trembling while tears fell silently from his fear-filled eyes which no longer held the smug look you became accostomed to.

There's something in the way he stared at you that wrenched at your heartstrings. He looked so...vulnerable, somehow you felt in control, you knew that he was in your mercy.

You are such a horrible person.

He stayed completely still, just staring at you...no, he is staring through you. He couldn't see you.

"You're safe here, I'm here with you," you assured repeatedly under your breath. He looks so fragile that you were afraid that speaking too loudly will shatter his very being. You tried to approach him again.

"I will I will do any-anything! Plea-Please! Don't hurt me," he choked, desperate tears escaping his wide eyes.

'I? Hurt you? I would never dream of doing that!' I cowered at her loud voice. She turned and pulled out something from her handbag.

'I got you something,' I looked up at her, uncurling myself. She turned to face me again and threw something towards the ground in front of me.

It was gleaming, shining.

It was a dagger.

'Fix yourself.'

With shaking hands, I grasped the cold handle of the weapon. It was small. Sharp. I couldn't see anything else but my small hand gripping it. I shuddered.

'Scared? I thought you weren't such a coward.'

You tried to near him but if you stepped any closer, he'll go berserk, screaming like a banshee. He already backed into the wall of the cave. Yet he kept pushing against it like he expected himself to merge into it. Whenever he calmed down and is finally able to form words, he'll apologise, over and over, stumbling over the same words, "I'm sorry, I'm really sorry." All this time, he wouldn't look at your eyes.

Cold hands grasp mine. I whimpered at the contact, yet I didn't look up. My eyes was fixed on the gleaming dagger. 'Let me help you. Let me fix you.' the hands bent the dagger towards the side and I sharp sting ran up my arm. It burned like it was a flame.

It hurts. I want it to stop.

'Doesn't it feel nice?' she lifted my hand with the dagger again. I felt it moved. The burning returned.

I hate it. It really really hurts.

'It feels so good, doesn't it?'

'Doesn't it?'

I wanted to shake my head.

'It will fix you.'

I nod.

You stood where you were, unsure of what the hell you were supposed to do. Half of you was screaming for you to run through the forest, perhaps look for some town to seek help. Or just run away. You pushed the thought away. Was it safe to leave him here alone?

You were close to tears. Your legs did not feel like they could hold your weight and you curled up just like Mason, hugging your knees tightly to your chest like it was the last beacon of hope and refusing to look at him anymore.

"Please, Mason, please, get yourself together," you begged silently, feeling your eyes well up. Yet he still remained where he was. His sobs and whimpers echoed through your head, each one more heart wrenching than the last.

The metallic scent of blood hung in the air like heavy smog. My blood.

My arms and legs are sore and burning. Yet I felt...relieved. I'm going to be fixed. Just once more. Fresh blood poured out from a new wound.

Just once more.

I felt a pair of hands clutch my shoulders, pulling me close. I lean towards it, a familiar feeling of comfort. I began to feel weightless as I allow a blanket of warmth to envelope me.

"I got him."

"I got him." You looked up. Mason seemed almost fine now. Almost. You could still see him shivering a little but it was better than before. His eyes were just as unfocused, directed upwards. But he's alright and that's all the matters.

You uncurled yourself and rushed forward, "Oh thank God, you're alright!" Your friendly instinct immediately directed you to wrap your arms around him. However, before you could get even halfway through completing your task, he grabbed your arm so tightly it stung.

He glared at you through icy cold eyes, his expression unfamiliar.

"What do you think you're doing."

♥️♥️♥️

Time for something none of you asked for: a QNA session! *sparkles*

So I realised that writing something about a mental disorder will lead to some very confusing scenes so here is your chance to clarify something you've always wanted an answer for.

I'll accept any questions from my height to any major plot points as long as I don't plan on bringing it up in a future chapter. Feel free to question my knowledge of DID and test if I know wtf I'm talking about.

Looking forwards to your questions, my gorgeous readers!

♥️♥️♥️