Chapter Seven: You Look Beautiful Tonight.

Start from the beginning

"Okay, okay," she said excitedly and grabbing my hand, she pulled me on to the dance floor.

"I haven't danced with a girl before," she giggled.

"It's not that different," I mumbled, glancing awkwardly at the couples dancing around us.

"Okay. Where do I put my hands then?"

"Wherever you like?"

"Really?"

"Yeah, really."

"Uhm, okay. . ." she tentatively slipped her arms around my neck and pulled me close. I tried not to slip in the white heels I was in but wasn't successful and stumbled. I was clearly struggling to regain my balance, hands holding on to her waist. She chuckled lightly.

"Not good at dancing, are you?"

"Not good in heels," I corrected her irritatedly, embarassed at this point.

"Oh," she said, laughing.

I shot her a look and then cleared my throat as I regained composure and started moving slowly to the music. She caught on and grew more serious and peaceful as we started dancing slowly and languidly. I fixed my eyes on the floor, focusing on our steps more than her. I wanted to avoid conversation.

I thought I was successful after a minute of silent dancing.

But I should've known better when it comes to Samantha.

"Are you not gonna talk at all?"

I looked up at her. My eyes fixated on her lips and I tore my gaze away.

Fuck.

"What do we even talk about?"

"I dunno. That night at Brandon's is too depressing to talk about. You won't tell me about yourself either. I figured that I should tell you more about myself, but everybody knows pretty much everything already."

I looked into her eyes. She paused and smiled uneasily.

"You nervous?"

"N-no."

I raised an eyebrow at that. "You sure?"

"I just haven't danced with a girl before. And I never thought that girl would be the Harley Gardner either, so. . ."

I smiled slightly.

"Why did you ask me out then?"

"I. . . honestly have no idea. I didn't feel like dancing with any of the guys who asked me out. And like I said, I thought we could talk about. . . what happened at the cafè."

I tried to hide the coldness in my eyes at that. I really tried. But she saw it anyway and looked away guiltily.

"I'm sorry. You don't have to and I shouldn't force you."

"No, it's fine."

"It is?" she asked, looking up at me hopefully.

"Yeah, but I wanna make it clear that I'm not your girl for that."

"Oh, okay."

"You look beautiful tonight," she continued, trying to change the topic.

"Thank you. You do, too. I love the black," I said, eyes exploring her features.

She blushed again.

"I know," she mumbled, more to herself than me.

The song ended and the DJ started playing another song.