Chapter Thirty-eight

Luke's P.O.V

"I'll leave you two alone," Chloe said, her facing burning the color of scarlet. She quickly went back inside of the room before I had the chance to pull away.

I jerked myself away from Jess and looked at her in horror. "Why the hell do you keep doing that?"

"Do you think she saw?" she asked curiously, turning to look at the door.

"Of course, she saw you dumbass! You can go off and ruin your own life but don't go on ruining my own!" I was beyond angry. I was infuriated. I didn't even care that I was acting as rude as hell, because Jess deserved it. Jess obviously didn't understand what it was like to be truly in love-did I think that? No, I wasn't in love, that much I was sure of. Being in love meant that I was unselfish for the other person and wanted what was best for her. But I was being selfish. I wanted her to be with me.

"Don't you dare start cussing at me like a sailor, Luke Armstrong!" she said angrily, jabbing at me with her finger.

"You're not my mother, Jess," I rolled my eyes and blocked her finger with my hand. "Now can you start acting like a motherfucking adult and not a stupid child?" I was trying my best to remain calm, but I still couldn't believe what just happened. Jess kissed me, and Chloe saw it. This was the first time she saw it happen so now she'll definitely think something was going on between us. Just great.

Jess pulled on her hair and let out a loud, exasperated sigh. "Ugh!"

I took in a deep breath to compose myself before heading back into the classroom. I would not let Jess keep doing this to me. I would just simply explain what happened in the hallway but what would I even say? How much did Chloe even hear? Was it enough to figure out that I liked her or enough to know that Jess liked Kason? Or did she manage not to hear anything, but just made it in time to see that Jess kissed me? I walked back inside the classroom feeling extremely embarrassed.

Chloe wasn't even looking in my direction.

"I don't know what you saw or heard outside of the classroom but trust me, when Jess kissed me out there it was an accident I swear," I overly explained myself.

Chloe looked at me sideways as if she was analyzing me. "It's okay, Luke. I get it. You're dating Jessica."

What? "I am not dating, Jess," I said a little more disgustedly than I should have.

"You aren't?" This time she turned to look at me straight in my eyes.

"No-"

"Okay class, I have an important announcement to make," Dr. Cambridge said as she got on the stage, looking around at everyone in the classroom.

Everyone quieted in the room and I noticed that Jess didn't come back inside. I wondered what she was doing.

"You guys know that you have to work at least a couple hours of service this semester and this will be the second to last time that you will receive the opportunity to do so. There is a play that will be opening at the end of next week and I am giving you all a chance to sign up for what you want to do. There are limited spots so not all of you will be able to work your hours for this play so now is the time to sign up," she said while adjusting her glasses. She paused and then smiled at the class. "That means you can all get up and sign up now. I am literally giving you the opportunity right now."

A bunch of people stood up and made their way to the stage where there was a music stand with a sign-up sheet on it.

Before I could even ask Chloe if she wanted to work this play she was already down there signing her name.