Chapter Four

Luke's P.O.V

"Will she be okay?" Jacob asked, sipping his coffee.

"She will be, trust me. She gets like this when she's laughing too hard," Hailee nodded, stirring her coffee with her straw.

I couldn't help but laugh a little more. It was funny how much I missed Chloe. I remembered how funny she was, but this reminded me exactly of why I wanted to be around her 24/7. She was like a ray of sunshine, always finding something to laugh about. Her laugh was infectious and no matter what she laughed about, I couldn't help myself but laugh along. There was no one like her.

"Was it really that funny?" Chloe Marshall asked, scrunching her eyebrows together while holding her coffee in her hand.

"Yeah, it was," I grinned.

"I don't even understand why, but I am over it," she rolled her eyes, defeated.

"Same here," Heather nodded.

Chloe soon came out of the bathroom, a smile still playing on her lips, causing me to smile. I could feel butterflies in my stomach as she stood there.

I pushed Jacob out of the way and stood up so she could scoot back into her seat.

"Easy man," Jacob snapped at me.

I didn't even listen to what he said because I was too busy looking at Chloe. She looked absolutely stunning. Her clothing always seemed to accentuate her curves without showing them off, which I appreciated. She could even make sweatpants and an old t-shirt look great. Damn, why did she have to be so beautiful all the time?

"Actually, Chloe‒" Hailee piped in before she could even get back into the booth, "‒and I need to leave. I just remembered that I have something I have to do before school starts in a few days."

Chloe stopped where she was and nodded, her face unreadable as she looked at Hailee.

I took this opportunity to get her coffee for her, so she wouldn't have to struggle reaching for it. So, she loved raspberry mochas, huh? I'll have to remember that.

"I can get the door for you on your way out," I said as I walked towards the door, but Hailee's skinny hand on my shoulder stopped me.

"Luke, you can stop being super nice, it's okay," Hailee rolled her eyes while shaking her head with a smile on her face, snatching Chloe's coffee out of my hands.

"Oh," I tried to smile.

"Yeah, man, they're independent women who don't need no man," Jacob smirked, placing his arm around me while looking after them.

I understood the whole independent woman thing, but I don't see anything wrong with trying to be polite either. I just wanted to feel helpful in some way, like I made something easier for her. I guessed some girls didn't realize that some guys actually wanted to be helpful, not that we were trying to take anything away from them.

"Yeah, we'll go ahead and leave, too," Chloe Marshall said, taking Heather's hand. "I need to work off the calories I just consumed with this macchiato."

"Okay ladies," Jacob grinned, releasing me.

I watched as Chloe left with the others. I hated to see her go since I didn't have many opportunities like this to be around her. I didn't even know she was coming to get iced coffee. I just remembered Chloe Marshall texting me to meet her here with Jacob. I never would have thought to see Chloe come along. It was probably Hailee who somehow managed to bring her.

"Damn, if Claire was just twenty pounds lighter I'd tap that ass so quick," Jacob shook his head and marveled at her. "She's a feisty one and I like them that way."