Sunday, August 18th 11:45pm The Guesthouse

Claire opened one eye to peek at her electric alarm clock. The red numbers glared 11:45 and she groaned. Earlier she had worked up the courage to message Massie and her heart was beating through her chest. She had spied through her window beforehand for almost a half an hour waiting for Massie to return from walking Bean. When she saw the bedroom light flick on from across the lawn, she waited exactly 90 seconds before sending her pre-typed IM. She wasn't sure why, but every interaction with Massie Block was such a rush. Maybe it was because she looked up to her for all the power she held at their school and in Claire's life. Maybe it was because she knew she was at the bottom of the pyramid with the pretty committee and Massie was the only person keeping her there. Or maybe it was because of the way her amber eyes glowed in the right light and her chestnut brown hair flowed around her flawless face as her smile beamed at Claire- in the few rare instances that it had.
Claire's mind raced between the wink emoji in Massie's IM and the red numbers that continued to show it was getting later and later. She finally fell asleep well into the AM, wondering if Massie would comment on how sleep deprived she looked on their first day.