Chapter 5 ~ Accusations

"I knew you'd be involved somehow," Jasmine spat, "You can't trust a Fae."

"Do you really hate us?" Tia asked with wide eyes.

"Of course, she's involved."

"Betraying your own kind."

"That's disgusting. How could you?"

"Cure? Cure for what?" The questions and accusations flew from around the room. I couldn't keep track of who said what; the words overlapped, and voices blurred together. Jasmine threw daggers with her eyes, and I knew without doubt that I'd be dead already if it weren't for the fact she was chained to a wall.

I didn't have it in me to fight back. Not when I knew I had caused this one way or another. Even the thought of what their kind had done to mine didn't help to rekindle the fire. How could it when I didn't even know if any of them had been there? They might not have done anything at all.

But I knew for a fact what I had done. And there was no hiding from it. No escaping it. We were living it.

I dropped my head into my shackled hands and let the words wash over me. The twist in my stomach returned but there was nothing left to choke back up.

I'd hated what I was for so long, but as I sat there in that cell, chained to a wall, surrounded by Mythics that seemed to hated me even more than I hated them I was no longer sure of anything. I hated being a Mythic, but for the first time since I'd woken up a wolf five years earlier, I wasn't sure I wanted to be human either.

I prayed the cure would work because I couldn't take anymore blood on my hands. Guilt hovered over me with ever watchful eyes, pouncing with a new wave of horror ever chance it got. My mind was trapped between the hatred I had clung to for so long and the all to vivid reality of the of that hatred in action.

Day after day, year after year I had wished for this. Hoped that they all died. Got what they deserved. And now I was responsible for it. Forced to sit in this cell and bear witness to the slaughter I'd called into action.

"Please work. Please work." The rumble of overlapping voices faded to background noise as I focused everything I had on those two words falling from my lips on repeat.

"Praying your cure works are you." Jasmine spat with venom, "Hoping more Mythics die? You Fae scum."

"I didn't know she was doing this." Her accusation burned another hole through my already shredded skin. She chuckled at my words.

"You just admitted you asked her to find you a cure. How did you think they would do it?"

"Not like this. They were supposed to test it on me. I swear I never wanted to hurt anyone."

"That's not what I've heard." The siren's lilting voice accused from the opposite wall, "Everyone knows you hate Mythics. You don't even let us near that human pub of yours."