Chapter 28 ~ Judgement

We reached the foot of the raised platform. My eyes were level with the fourteen feet of the Elders. I had to crane my neck to see their faces. And when I tried I was yanked back, my head forced back down until I faced the floor.

"We are seven now, in order to replace the Mythic Council. Once we return to Earth we will be the sole Mythic representatives and as a community we thought it best to continue with the tradition of seven. Do you disagree?" A voice from above answered my earlier question. His words asked for my opinion but his tone warned of bitter consequences should I choose to voice an opposing belief.

I shook my head.

"Ah, very good then." Another voice chimed in, from further to the right. This one sounded less ominous, more light hearted and open. I shifted my stance a fraction so I faced more towards this Elder.

"Shall we begin?" Her voice was a whip cracking through the air. It snared the attention of everyone in the chamber. It was phrased as a question but silence was the only answer she received. I recognised the voice as Sadie Knox, she had been an Elder five years ago too. She'd worked alongside my father, though he'd told me they disagreed on almost everything and she loved to argue beyond the point of reason.

She allowed the silence to rein for a minute more.

"Delilah Grey," Her crisp tone sent a chill down my spine. "We are hear today to discuss the fate of this Fae turned Wolf hybrid. She was long thought dead but has somehow managed to find her way back to us. Delilah, do you accept the rule of the Elders and thus, agree to abide by any judgement made here today?"

The question was a formality. It only had one acceptable answer and I wasn't sure it was the right one.

"I accept." I kept my words clear and concise and spoke them to the floor.

"Let the judgement begin." She called to the room.

"Where have you been for the last five years?"

"On Earth."

"What have you been doing there?"

"Living as a human." That answer garnered a few gasps from the audience, but the Elders continued their questions without acknowledging it or giving any indication as to what they were thinking.

"How did you get here?"

"I stepped through the portal in the cell."

"How did you find it?"

"I was kidnapped by humans."

"Why did you come here?"

"To find my family."

"How did you survive the bite of a Wolf?"