Chapter 48

Nonna is an endearing term for older women/grandma's in this world just so you know.

       "Urh... I'm confused," I stated, eyeing up the two that weren't originally joining us. I had to say goodbye to my friends but they get to drag along whoever? That seems a little unfair.

      "I told you that you'd be around a high ranking noble," Mom hummed raising a brow while I glanced at her, vaguely remembering that. I didn't exactly think it'd be the dual wielder and his father, both of which who were refusing to look away from me.

      Clearing my throat I waited for her to explain why I was being abandoned but the explanation did not come as she fixed dad's hair. "... Alright, but why are we not sticking together?" I asked, the silence unbearably awkward and Felix stifling his laughter was not all that helpful.

       "Hmm? Well, I figured you'd rather look at books and blades than gems and jewels. They were nice enough to offer to take you," She smiled while I opened my mouth before closing it as it really was true, I'd much rather look at all the old books that I wouldn't be able to get until next year or ever with strangers rather than look at pointless jewelry.

       "And I couldn't have gone with my friends?" I asked slowly knowing at least one of them would be around there. Probably Alex.

      "Lilith," Her smile turned to a warning as I curled my lips into my mouth as I was asking for more when she had gone out of her way to let me enjoy the festival even if she wanted to spend it with me.

      "My bad..." I sighed grabbing my shoulder, gently running my intext finger over one of the small scars.

       "I'll see you later dear," She kissed my head and pulled the two along with her, dad waving and Felix smirking. I should be greatful. I really should. And I am... But... They stare so much. It's so awkward. Sighing again I fiddled with my braid before turning to look at them with my head held high.

       I couldn't help but deflate as I released just how big they were. Oh boy... Maybe I should have gone with them...

      Beaming at the book I flicked through it excited, most books written in the forgotten languages ended up in fireplaces because no one ever bought them. "Do you have any more of these?" I asked with a bright smile as the older woman trembled, tears gathering in her eyes while I skimmed her other books.

       "Of course dearie!" She hiccuped while I glanced at her, knowing it was best not to comment in such situations. "I'll- I'll give you a discount! You can buy them all for three small coppers!"

        "Really?"

        "Is that too high? How-how about two! No, one!" Running my finger down the cover I tapped my fingers on it before smiling softly at her.

        "One huh? Quite the bargain you got there, better use it well," Handing her the gold coin I started to move her books to the carriage while she burst into tears thanking me.

        "You're rather different outside the arena," Glancing at the older man as he helped I didn't comment as I went back to her.

        "Now, that we've settled for the older books, why don't we talk about these gems? I hadn't seen them in such good condition and I think I should jump the chance to get them, Tibean nor have I seen Stracesh books on the market before," I said softly, brushing a loose hair behind my ear as she did her best to collect herself.

       "You can have them- you-you've saved my family," She hiccuped while I laughed gently, swallowing the lump in my throat.

        "Now I can't do that, can I? This is a market Nonna," I hummed pulling out two silvers, "So, why don't I buy the rest of your books for two silvers? I'll even throw in a large copper," I didn't say anything as she started to cry all over again, the stares burning into the back of my head while she grabbed my wrists and pulled them to her body sobbing her gratitude while I tried my best to keep smiling.

      "You're a god-goddess," She cried while I bit my tongue, my eyes watering as she let go of me and bowed on the old blanket she was using to hold her books, her head touching the ground while I took a shaky breath. 

       "Not at all..." I breathed slowing, clearing my throat, "Raise your head, Nonna," I said softly, "The stars shined upon you with the luck to have such high q-quality books," Swallowing as my throat grew dry I took another slow breath as I hesitantly took the books. Glancing back at her knowing I shouldn't do anything I bit my lips and moved to the carriage while she thanked me with her head bowed.

       "Kind of you to buy books no one can read," Glancing at the younger of the two I looked at the book he was flipping through. They remained silent the whole while, trying to get a read on me.

       "Just because you don't know what it says doesn't mean I don't," I said softly, taking the book and putting it on the stack I was carrying. With a deep breath, I turned to the large market that was watching me in hope and anticipation. "I'M LOOKING FOR OLD UNREADABLE BOOKS OF ALL KINDS AND I WILL PAY HIGH PRICES FOR THOSE FOUND!"

        Higher than I should but not nearly high enough... Looking at my purse I balled my fists knowing I couldn't help everyone. The slums were the best place to look for books like this for more than one reason. They always ended up with them and they needed the money the most.

        "My offer stands with you two as well, if you've got books in any language you've deemed unreadable, I'll buy them or a copy," I said watching as many raced to get them or look for them. They're staring intensified while I sighed wishing I had more coin to share.