t w o

The heavy downpour roared in her ears. Light droplets tracing patterns onto her skin, glinting like diamonds off the sleek silver dagger strapped onto her waist. She watched in annoyance as the rain soaked every ounce of her skin, and made a mess of the hair she had ever so carefully sculpted into a bun. However, that couldn't stop the small smile that emerged on her lips as the fresh scent rain and musk beckoned her, it was almost as if the earth was welcoming her into its arms.

It seldom rained in Kruthia, and technically Shyla and her brother weren't in Kruthia anymore. The pair had traveled extensively to reach the Northernmost egde of Kruthia. Nestled there, within the Kruthian borders, sat an independent pack known as the Novrios, with horrifying stories of torture within the pack. With Shyla holding the repuatation of The Wraith, she had come to scope out the pack after Mikhail's lead discussed the improper treatment of werewolves within the pack.

"Ready to move in?"

The gruff voice shook Shyla from her thoughts, and she met the eyes of the speaker.

Gazing at Mikhail, Shyla noticed how the rain had caused his jet black hair to plaster around his face, the darkness bringing out the ocean-like blue in his eyes. Water dripped from his short hair and curved around his jawline, muscles clenched. His lithe arms were crossed in front of him, and the usual smile that graced his features were replaced by a slight frown. "Patience Mikhail," She held her finger up to her brother's face, "Patience."

Mikhail raised his brow in mock annoyance, "Fine," he whispered.

Shyla's eyes scanned the territory, watching closely for the perfect victim, a wolf who would take her straight to her target. Her eyes stalked the movement of the patrol guards, watching as they tiredly waited to be relieved from their shift before retiring for the night. Her eyes narrowed on a wolf guarding the territory, his stance indicating his high rank, definitely not an Alpha, but maybe a Beta or Gamma wolf. She smirked, perfect.

Before putting her plan into action, she quickly tossed Mikhail a small amulet, which has a circle with a line etched straight across it, that is designed to keep his scent hidden.

Mikhail briefly met her eyes, "Stay safe."

Shyla smirked in reply, "I will."

Shyla stealthily approached the wolf, grass crunching against her feet.

"Hello," Shyla smiled up to the wolf.

The wolf's eyes narrowed in suspicion, "Rouge! How-"

"Allow me to enter the pack. You will alert no one," Shyla's lips brushed against the gurads ear as she whispered her commands. She watched as the wolf fought an internal battle, the instinctual urge to protect his pack was clashing with the words Shyla spoke. The wolf's face morphed from anger, confusion, and finally, a glassy stare... as it always does.

The wolf stepped aside, nodding as he accepted her commands, "As you wish."

Shyla brought her lips close to the wolf's ear, "I was never here."

Without a second thought, Shyla slipped into the shadows, allowing the night to conceal her. She expertly snuck through the territory, making her way to the pack house.

"Hey! What are-"

Shyla barely flinched at the guard's voice, throwing her knife towards the sound. With the clink of metal sinking to the guard's ribs, he was silenced immediately. She slipped behind the building, watching as another guard came to inspect the scene. Moving like the wind, she stood behind the inquisitive guard, lips barely brushing against his ear as she whispered, "I will enter the packgrounds while you dispose of this body. You will not say a word until the task is done. You don't remember me."

Shyla watched in amusement as the guard suddenly found himself unable to speak, eyes glazing over as he went off to do as she asked of him.

Shyla swiftly moved along the treeline, staying hidden within the shadows. The whistle of wind seemed to be the only sign of life along the area she was in now. With a slight frown, Shyla moved towards the pack house for any of the signs the lead discussed.

And that's when she heard it.

Her gaze settled on a podium-like stage that surrounded a gleaming bonfire encased in its center. Hundreds of wolves surrounded the stage, their voices booming throughout the pack as they all whispered a chant.

Ignis autem in potestatem vocamus, collecta a lumine lunae.

Shyla watched in morbid intrigue as some stocky looking weres, probably guards, pushed a few stickly thin werewolves onto the podium.

It was too late when Shyla noticed the silver chains burning through the werewolve's wrists. Her eyes widened in horror as she realized what was about to happen.

XXXXX

Shyla's head throbbed, pulse echoing in her ears as she held the wolves under her command.

Just as she noticed one of the first prisoners take a step towards the fire, she had ran out of her hiding spot and casted her first command.

'Stop.'

Shyla weilded her words like a knife, twisting until she held every pack member under her command. The woods had suddenly gone silent, the chants of the wolves cut off.

Quickly surveying the area, the wolves would overwhelm her. She couldn't let go of the hold she had for her own sake, if not for the prisoners.

Warm droplets of blood trickled down her nose, but she didn't let it distract her. She let out a quiet breath as she spewed out her next command.

'Sleep.'

Shyla huffed in relief as she watched the wolves fall like bricks. She tentatively lifted her gaze up to the podium, fully expecting to see all the prisoners knocked out cold. Instead, her gaze met that of a man, his pale green bright against his milky white skin. His stature wasn't the same as the other prisoners, instead he stood tall and almost relaxed, it was like he knew what he was getting into. His calculating stare grazed over Shyla, his eyes widening a fraction as if he figured out who she was. What she was. Without wasting a second, he ran off the stage, speeding up into a spint. As he ran, Shyla's eyes caught on the golden ring he sported on his index finger. The familiar pattern threw her into a frenzy as vivid images of her past filled her mind.

She saw that ring as the man who wore it grabbed her neck to pull her into a kiss.

She saw it when he had raised the same hand that comforted her, to inflict pain, as he ran a dagger down her chest.

She saw that ring on her own finger after he forced her to mate with him.

She saw that ring on Alpha Merikh. Her mate.

Author's Section

We're finally getting into a little more juicy details of this book, you know what that means ;) ! I am so excited to show you guys where this is going! 

Also kinda random, but what's your favourite animal? I really love koalas and puppies, they're so cute!

Anyways... hope you enjoyed this chapter!

- Meena Krishna