i've got you

a couple of hours had passed since we watched the movie, and taylor, emma, avery and i had just returned from the beach because the rain had stopped. georgia stayed at the house with the boys. throughout our time at the beach i had been wracking my brain trying to decide on an outfit to wear to ruel's going away party. i decide to ask the girls, because they'll probably have a better idea as to how casual everyone will be dressing.

"can you guys help me pick out an outfit?" i ask emma, avery and taylor. i receive a chorus of yesses as they drag me up the stairs to the bedroom. i pull out a few options, and try them all on. the girls end up choosing a silk crop i have and some black jeans with a belt.

 the girls end up choosing a silk crop i have and some black jeans with a belt

"ruel will love it" avery snickers.

"that's not the point" my cheeks burn up and i shake my head. the girls all laugh, and i laugh along reluctantly. 

eventually we all walk into the bathroom to start doing our hair and makeup. i don't try to do anything different; just my normal dewy makeup look. i leave my hair, but fix up my fringe a bit. as the sun begins to set, the boys start playing music in the backyard. the girls and i walk downstairs to join them. there is a circle of chairs situated in the centre of the yard and the boys are sitting with drinks in their hands, basking in the golden rays of the sunset. 

i watch ethan turn first and when he sees taylor he wolf whistles. this makes the other boys turn around. it's as if ruel turns in slow-motion. he almost sparkles in the sunlight. a small smile plays across his lips and my heart feels as if it's stopped beating. our eyes are locked and i can't even force myself to pull away. i smile back as i walk over and sit next to him.

"you look..." ruel pauses as if he's lost for words. "beautiful" he finishes. i smile and look down. 

"thank you," i say quietly. i lowkey can't deal with compliments, i always have no idea how to respond. especially when it's a guy who's complimented me. what am i supposed to say? i know i'm not actually beautiful- he's just trying to be nice. but at the same time i don't want to be rude. 

"what are you thinking about?" ruel asks me. i look at him.

"nothing" i smile.

"you're okay brynne" he tells me. "just relax," i take a deep breath.

"i'm sorry," i tell him. i always fuck things up because of my anxious nature; i'm so embarrassed. ruel laughs, and i'm instantly put at ease.

eventually the boys set up a fire pit in the centre of the circle of chairs as the sun sinks into the horizon. i get up and go over to the table where the drinks are and pour myself a cup of coke. i walk back over, sit back down and take a sip. it tastes kind of different, but i think nothing of it.

i'm dancing with avery over near the speaker when ruel walks over to me, he's a little bit tipsy.

"what have you had?" ruel asks me.

"what do you meean?" i say. "just coke" ruel's eyes widen.

"brynne," he laughs. "that's not just coke" i look into my cup, and then back at ruel. "how much have you had?" he asks me.

"three cups-" i reply.

"oh shiit" he says.

"whatever," i laugh. i actually can't be bothered to worry for once. ruel is going away and i want to enjoy myself. 

within ten minutes the full force of the alcohol has really kicked in. the party is spinning and i can barely stand up straight. my body is filled with warmth and i feel oddly euphoric. even though i know i shouldn't- i walk over to ruel who is standing with ethan and jake. i hug him from behind and he spins around. his face inches away from mine.

"we'll give you two some space" jake smiles as he pulls ethan away.

i hug ruel. my eyes feel tired and heavy. 

"i'm gonna miiiiss youuuu" i groan. ruel just stands and holds me in his arms. 

"the roles have been reversed" he laughs, since last night i was literally doing the same thing for ruel. i sigh into his chest.

"i'm tired" i mutter. ruel pulls away and looks at me.

"do you want me to take you to bed?" he asks me. i nod. "i've got you," he says as he puts an arm around my shoulders and guides me into the house. the ground is still spinning and i keep tripping over my own feet as we walk, which results in a few chuckles from ruel. he grabs a bottle of water from the fridge as we pass the kitchen and as we reach the bottom of the stairs he picks me up. i scream.

"whaat are you doing?!" i laugh.

"there was no way you could've walked up these" he says as he clumsily carries me to the top. he carries me all the way to my bedroom and dumps me down on the bed. i don't know why- maybe it's because of the alcohol, but i burst into tears.

"hey hey hey brynne no don't cry-" ruel says and pulls me into a hug.

"wh-when you're g-gone" i sob. "i w-won't have anyone to t-talk to" i say. ruel hugs me tighter. 

"don't say that" he says. "all of my friends love you-" he pulls away from the hug and rests his hand on my cheek. "even my sister told me how much she likes you before i left this morning" he says. my tears begin to slow slightly. "you're not alone brynne" ruel tells me.

the tension can be cut with a knife. i feel the inexplicable urge to kiss him. i slowly edge forward and it feels as though ruel does the same. but before our lips touch, he pulls away.

"i can't-" he says. "not when you're like this." i let my head drop onto his chest.

"it's okay" i mumble. "i don't know what i'm doing"

ruel wraps his arms around me and rests his hand on the back of my head.

"i'll miss you brynne" he says. "but i'll be back before you know it" his words drift into oblivion as i fall asleep on his shoulder.

___________________________________

what will happen with the tension building between ruel and brynne?
what will happen while ruel's on tour?
find out in the next chapter!

thank you all so much for reading. i hope you enjoyed this chapter, sorry for a bit of a wait. i'm off school now so i should be updating more regularly!

please remember to vote and comment so i know you enjoyed this chapter, and stay tuned for the chapters to come!

love y'all!

xx