A Promise

You, Rapunzel, and your friends had just saved Eugene and Max from Lady Caine and her crew as well as putting the criminals to justice. It was pretty exciting to you because you get to act like a swashbuckler. You also had a good laugh when Hookfoot accidentally lean too far on the rails and fell into the ocean.

Just after you guys laughed and helped him back onto the dock, Rapunzel pulled Eugene aside to have a private conversation with him. "Eugene, when you and Max were on the prison barge, did you see you-know-who?"

"Uhh, no," said Eugene thoughtfully, "But just to be sure we're thinking about the same person, who do I know?"

"Varian," said Rapunzel.

"Oh," said Eugene in realization, "Don't worry, Max and I had been all over the ship and there was not a sign of him anywhere." Rapunzel sighed in relief and said, "Good."

"Why do you ask?" asked Eugene, "Didn't your dad promise he'll get help for the kid?" Rapunzel nodded and said, "Yes, he did." Eugene raised his eyebrow and said, "You didn't think he'll keep that promise?" Rapunzel shook her head and said, "No, it's not that. It's just... Do you remember what Varian said as they took him away?" Eugene hummed as he thought back on that day when they defeated Varian.

Flashback

The guards put Varian in a prison wagon and Ruddiger, his raccoon friend, climbed onto his shoulder. Varian looked at everyone, especially you, and said, "Don't think this is over. I will have my revenge, I will make dad proud of me, and I will have my (Y/n). If it's the thing I do." Your eyes start to fill up with tears as he said those words. Rapunzel pulled you into a hug to try to comfort you and you both watched in sadness as Varian was being carried away to the castle.

End Flashback

After recalling that day, Eugene nodded and said, "Yeah, I remember." Rapunzel sighed and said, "If Varian was on the barge, he would've come after (Y/n)." Eugene nodded in agreement. He then smiled softly and said, "Don't worry, Varian's back in Corona and I'm sure he had gotten some help by now. But if he, by any chance, followed us to wherever we're going, we'll be ready for him."

Rapunzel smiled and said, "Thanks, Eugene. Oh, and let's keep this between us for now, okay?" Eugene nodded and said, "Okay."

"What are you lovebirds doing over there?" you shouted from a distance, "Let's get this show on the road!"

"We're coming!" shouted Eugene and Rapunzel. They laughed a little as they walk towards the caravan, where you and the others were waiting impatiently. You couldn't tell what they were saying, but you had a feeling that it has something to do with Varian. You frowned when that boy came to your mind. You're still sad about the loss of your friend and crush but you reminded yourself of your journey to find out more about the black rocks and a possibility of freeing Quirin.

Little did any of you know that in one of the barrels being dropped off on the docks, were bodies of a young man and a raccoon. They were waiting for the right moment to jump out and continue to follow the team to wherever the rocks were taking them.