The First to Bail Out

Comincia dall'inizio

Unbreakable friendship, not our bond.

On that day, I realized a terrible heartbreaking truth: She was better off without me.

And I threw my own keychain to the ground, then cried silently in anguish tears.

⟩»•«⟨

"She really was better off without me," I repeat it aloud, still shivering at the depressing memory.

Snow begin to cover my whole body so I brushed it all off. Then I glimpsed back at the gloomy landscape over the edge.

Somewhere in the villages, every human is now saying their own greeting to themselves. Hugs and kisses spread everywhere like a happy virus. I heard they even give wonderful gifts to each other, and together they sing songs of praise and worship as part of the celebration. I wonder, would they be able to feel my despair?

I took out a classic black guitar, which I have rented from one of the humans' stores.

Then I begin to play "Midnight Sky," a nostalgic song by Unique.

🎶Every time in my mind
I'm telling myself
Should I be?
Who will be?
The man who'll hold your hand

Whenever I close my eyes
I can see your lovely smile
And I open it again
And then I see the midnight sky

Wishing that I'll be
The man that you'll touch and see
I'll give my love that can't explain
We will be running in the rain
And I will hold your hand
Hold my hand
Hmmmm...
Hmmmm...

Too much pain
Can't heal a thousand scars
Feeling alone
So I'm talking to the stars

Whenever I close my eyes
I can see your lovely smile
And I open it again
Then I see the midnight sky

Wishing that I'll be
The man that you'll touch and see
I'll give my love that can't explain
We will be running in the rain

And I will hold your hand
Hold my hand...
Hold my hand...
Hold my hand...
I will hold your hand
I will hold your hand🎶

The notes suit my depression very well, so there's no need to make adjustments. But, all in all, my performance went smoothly. I gave all my heart and soul to the world unaware of my sorrowful life. After all, this song is dedicated to my supposed love of my life, Ying.

After the song, tears begin to uncontrollably stream down my face. It is warm like the summer but, to me, it is as cold as ice. I bow my head and let my thoughts run into despair.

As much as my critic mind tells me it's alright, I still can't accept the cold heartache inside me. I wished for my chance to be with her. But it was too late.

I'm too late... to love again.

"FANG!!!"

That voice...

I whirl around everywhere, trying to finding that voice. No one is here tonight, but I feel a presence somewhere.

And that sound... it is familiar. Something- no, someone I've heard before.

"FANG!!"

I turn the my left side and suddenly let out a gasp.

Standing on the rails is a petite girl wearing yellow winter clothes and fluffy blue boots. Her black hair is still tied into long pigtails and are now flying because of the cold wind.

And, more importantly, she is waving something tied to her palm. A penguin keychain.

"Ying!!" I happily cry as I stand up.

But unlucky for me, my foot slips and I begin to fall down the waterfall's edge. I want to use my shadow powers, but I don't have any.

"Slow-mo Speed!"

My world slow down and I slowly see Ying running towards me.

She can make it, I insist as I extend my hand. She can really make it!

Thud, thud! goes my heart beat

Ying is now closer to me, her right hand reaching my left.

Thud, thud!

She can make it! She was never late!

Thud, thud!

Our pointer fingers are now touching.

Thud, thud!

I believe in her. That's how my Pigtails is...

But destiny won't allow it.

Time resumes.

Our hands never met.

And that left me falling down from the edge, just like the running waters of the Niagara Falls.

Ying... why?

±