"Zero?" I asked again.

"I'll be fine. I think you'll need a plaster, it's a damn deep cut. Here, keep this wrapped around it while we head to the medical centre."

"But you need to get back to class."

"Ryan will tell our tutor what happened."

"But..."

"You're very argumentative today," he grinned, changing the topic. "What's changed?"

I was worried. I was hurt. I didn't know where you were. I was scared. I didn't reply.

"Back to silence?" he asked as we reached the medical room.

"What have you done now?" the nurse demanded of Zero the moment we entered.

Zero grinned. "Madisyn managed to get herself a paper cut."

The nurse raised a brow as she came closer. "This has to be a first. You bringing someone in." Then she turned to me. "Let me see."

Unwrapping my finger, I showed her the cut that held a line of blood.

"I'll be back in one second," the nurse said, turning for the room where she kept her supplies.

Neither of us said anything while we waited. But as we stood there waiting, I couldn't help but notice the heat Zero gave off at my back. It was only then that I noticed how close he was standing... and the strange part was that I didn't want to move away. Instead, I found that I actually wanted to move closer. I felt safe with him. Ironic since he was known for harm, yet I thought of him as safety.

The nurse came out a moment later and Zero took the plaster she was telling me to put on. Taking off the plastic sides that kept the plaster sticky, I froze as he wrapped the plaster around my finger, over the cut, with a strange care. I look at his face then to see that it was turned down to focus on getting the plaster on right. He looked up then, his nearly black eyes meeting mine, and what I saw scared me. Fear was shining in his eyes. And I had no idea why.

He turned away a moment later, seeing my expression of whatever it had held in response to his gaze. "Thanks," he said to the nurse who was staring at us intently. At Zero with a look of trying to figure out an impossible puzzle.

"No problem," she replied. "Take care."

Zero gave her nod before putting his hand on my shoulder to guide me out. But the second we were out of the room, he was pulling me back. My back collided with his front. His entire body tensed as though ready to pounce. Looking around, I saw Mr. Rossie coming out of the headmaster's office.

"It's a shame to loose a man such as yourself," our headmaster said, not noticing us.

"Yes, well, I've been offered my dream job down south–"

"Don't worry, I understand. I can't blame you. But if you ever want to come back, the door's always open."

Zero managed to tense more at the last.

It was only after the headmaster had said goodbye and managed to return to his office that Mr. Rossie saw us. At the sight of Zero, he froze.

"Good choice," Zero told him.

With a swallow, Mr. Rossie walked past us slowly with weariness like a mouse trying to avoid detection from a cat.

"Touch my car again," Zero started with a warning. "And I'll find yours."

What? I turned my head as Zero wouldn't let me turn my body to look up at him. What I saw reminded me of who he was. The threat in his eyes were like a gun. They said that he could go off at any second. That he would kill. Or hurt another terribly.

I must have flinched at the sight of his raging expression because he turned me to face him, and then used his hand to keep my face staring at his chest. Cupping my neck to control my head. He even tilted my head so that I couldn't roll my eyes up to see his face.

A moment later and I realised that Mr. Rossie had probably gone out of sight as Zero relaxed. "You know I'll never hurt you right?"

I wondered about that. Why? Why was I an exception? I nodded though, to tell him I knew. Because although he'd held that expression on his face, it hadn't been directed at me. None of the anger had been directed at me. Always someone else. All he'd done to me was be nice.

"I'll be back for lunch, okay?"

I blinked at that, why was he telling me? I gave him another nod as he let go of my neck and stepped back to create a space between us. Cold air hit me then, mixed with a hint of warmth from the heaters in the building.

"Good. See you then," then he was moving away, following Mr. Rossie.

I didn't follow. I went back to our tutor room to find someone had left my bag outside so that I could grab it instead of interrupting the class. But although I didn't follow, I did wonder, what had Mr. Rossie done to Zero's car? And what was Zero doing?

Vote? Comment? Thank you!