journey

a/n : so sorry for the lack of updates, i've been super busy. also this fanfic finishes very soon! :(

millie's pov

me and finn managed to pretend as if nothing happened that night. as if finn didn't shoot someone and hide their body. we did a good job in lying as the others remained completely clueless to what actually occurred.

we were leaving the lake house tomorrow, and me and finn were always wary of our surroundings, fearful that martin may have sent someone else.

the others were having the time of their lives, swimming in the lake almost everyday, sitting by the campfire, however me and finn were too busy trying to protect everyone from a threat they weren't even aware of.

we spent this afternoon beside the lake again, making the most of the last day we had remaining at the lake house.

i felt relieved to be leaving, the trip was hardly considered a holiday, i don't think a minute was spent with me not worrying about martin.

after a an hour or two by the lake, we all head back to the lake house to start packing up our things.

me and finn were living in constant fear. we were forced to be cautious of our surroundings at all time, and i could never not be fearful.

it was almost painful. i could never enjoy anything anymore, i constantly feel as if someone was watching me, watching my every move.

i was glad to be leaving, however i knew once we arrived home he still continued to be a threat to us all.

-

the next morning we woke up early, filling the car with our suitcases as we prepare for the long journey ahead.

everyone seemed exhausted as they slouch in the seats lazily with tired expressions on their faces.

the journey home felt like days, every road looking the exact same as finn continues to drive with a emotionless expression on his face.

after some time we decide to stop for food, dragging the others out the car.

the gas station lacked options for food, the only available place was a dusty, dirty looking diner.

me and finn look at each other, eye rolling at the only option we had.

we all sit at a booth, browsing the menu in hope for something good to eat.

"well this is... disgusting" sadie says coldly with a disgusted expression on her face as she scans the dated diner.

"well it's our only option so we're going to have to deal with it, aren't we?" finn says grumpily with a yawn as he slouches back lazily.

"what's up with you?" caleb says to finn as he crosses his arms and looks at the boy with a concerned expression.

"what? oh nothing. i'm just lacking sleep, i haven't had a fucking coffee all day and i am in desperate need of a cigarette. but other than that? yeah i'm doing just great!" finn says sarcastically, slouching back even further.

a waitress then arrives, a bright smile on her face as she pulls out her notepad and pen. she takes immediate notice of finn, biting her lip slightly as she gazes at him. i can see why she was admiring him, he looked hot.

he was wearing a black sweatshirt, matching his raven curls that hung over his forehead. his mysterious look certainly intrigued her as she continues to stare at him.

i cough loudly, not wanting to have to watch the young waitress drool over finn any longer.

she awkwardly breaks her gaze away from finn, fumbling around with her notepad and pen as she looks at us all.

"u-uh can i take your order please?" she finally asks as she looks at us all uncomfortably.

we all order our food, not having any hope it will be any good by the state of the diner.

"hey guys? have you noticed that guy back there?" noah suddenly asks, nodding to the booth behind finn's head.

we turn slowly, catching a glimpse of a middle aged man sat behind us. he was reading a newspaper as he drank from his mug slowly.

"yeah, what about him?" i ask, confused to what noah was suggesting.

"he- he keeps on staring at us. and it's weirding me out." noah says quietly, clearly fearful of the man listening in on the conversation.

"i'm sure it's nothing, chill" gaten says as he rests his chin on his hand.

however me and finn weren't so sure. we give each other a knowing look, before turning to look at the man again.

however when we did, he was gone.

-

after eating the meal, which wasn't nice in the slightest, we head back to the car to finish the final stretch of our journey home.

me and finn we're much more cautious now after seeing that man in the diner. he probably wasn't even associated with martin, however we had to presume the worst.

after another few hours, we finally dropped the others off at their houses until it was just me and finn.

he pulls up outside my house tiredly before turning to face me.

"are you going to be okay? i just want you to be safe and-" finn asks quickly, fear noticeable in his voice.

"finn. i'll be fine, okay?" i say softly as i cup his face gently with my hands, trying to calm him down.

"okay. but if anything happens- or if you need me-" he says quickly, becoming protective.

"i'll call you." i say with a small laugh before stepping out of the car. "don't worry. ok?"

finn nods in response, before quickly unbuckling himself and leaning over to plant a quick kiss on my lips.

i blush slightly at his sweet action before closing the car door and walking up to my house. finn waits until i walk in through the front door, and then he drives off.

the house was completely silent, my mum and ava must've gone to sleep already.

i walk upstairs quietly, attempting not to wake anyone.

however i suddenly freeze, noticing a figure stood in my room.