perfect

millie's pov

immediately, we all jump out of our seats and i throw open the door and quickly run outside. however no one is there.

out of pure panic, i sprint down the steps and into the woods, ignoring the shouts from sadie behind me. i needed to find finn.

i felt as if i was running in a constant loop, the whole forest looked the exact same. my voice was beginning to go croaky as i continue to scream finns name into the empty forest. i felt tears form in my eyes out of frustration as i jog quicker.

"finn!" i scream for what felt like the hundredth time. no response. i was beginning to lose hope, he wasn't here.

however the sudden noise from behind me causes me to jump. i didn't have time to look before someone runs up to me and wraps their arms around me tightly. i immediately recognize his scent, and the soft curls brushing against my cheek.

i felt tears run down my face as i let out a sigh of relief and hold him tightly, scared to let him go.

"millie- i-" finn whispers as he holds me protectively.

however i quickly push him away, anger beginning to run through me. "where the hell were you?! and why were there gunshots?!" i ask, glaring at the tall boy stood before me, however i suddenly notice someone else behind him.

a body was sprawled on the ground behind him, blood pouring out their chest as they lay there silently. i stare at the body blankly before coming back to my senses.

"w-who is that? why are they d-dead? did you do this?" i whisper, panic building up inside of me.

"m-millie. i'll explain everything. but you need to go back to the lodge, ok?" finn says demandingly, yet there was a softness in his eyes, which showed he cared.

"wait, i-is it jacob?" i ask, recognising the lifeless face as i peer back at the floor.

"y-yes, but i really need you to go back to the lodge ok?" finn asks with pleading eyes as he places his hands on the sides of my arms.

i nod understandingly, knowing he was only trying to keep me safe. "are you sure i can't stay and help? a-and what do i tell the others?"

"tell them you haven't found me yet, but keep them in the lodge and i will come back in a few minutes." finn instructs as he softly strokes my arm with his hand.

"ok, but please stay safe" i say softly as finn plants a small kiss onto my forehead. finn nods, and i take that as my queue to leave. i quickly walk back to the lodge and i felt my heart quickening. what if something happened to finn? what if he gets hurt and i can't do anything?

i try to push away the thoughts as i slowly step into the lodge. sadie immediately runs into my arms and hugs me tightly.

"do you realised how worried i was?! where the hell did you go?!" sadie asks as she pulls away with tear filled eyes.

"i needed to see if finn was okay-" i say quietly as i look at sadie.

"wait- where is finn?" gaten says from behind me as he walks up to us.

"i- i don't know. i couldn't find him." i lie, pretending as if i had no idea where he was.

"but there were gunshots! he could be hurt!" noah says as he looks at me worriedly.

caleb immediately rolls his eyes as he comes and stands next to sadie. "guys they were most likely hunters, apparently hunting is common around here. and he will be fine guys, it's finn we're talking about here. he has probably just gone to clear his head and have a cigarette or some shit. and he can protect himself."

right on queue, finn walks in through the lodge door and smiles at everyone as if nothing has happened. however i could see him forcing the smile, and i could sense his fear. noticing this, i hold his hand quickly, stroking the back of his hand with my thumb slowly.

"f-finn! where were you?! we were worried!" sadie says as she strides up to him angrily.

"i just needed a cigarette, and a quick walk to clear my head i guess" finn says as he shrugs lazily.

"i told you!" caleb says with a proud grin on his face as he crosses his arms.

"right. well i'm going to sleep, goodnight" gaten says carelessly as he trudges out the room slowly. sadie, caleb and noah closely follow behind leaving me and finn alone.

"can you explain everything to me now?" i ask, desperate for answers from him. finn quickly nods, grabbing my hand and pulling me into the bench outside.

"so- you know how jacob followed us here right?" finn asks, looking around as if someone was listening in on our conversation.

"yes?"

"well he found us. and that's what that noise was outside the lodge, so i went to check out what it was. at first i couldn't see him anywhere, until he showed himself. he had a gun himself, i presume martin sent him to shoot me. he managed to knock my gun out my hand, but i grabbed his gun after he did this. and- w-well, i shot him." finn explains, breathless by the end of it.

i sit there silently, thinking of how desperate martin must be to want us dead. i felt a shiver run down my spine, however i shrug it off and turn to finn.

"you were protecting us finn. you did the right thing ok?" i say softly as i cup his fearful face with my hands. i pull him in closely and press my lips against his. he quickly warms into the kiss, stroking my hair gently as we deepen the kiss. we pull apart, breathless as our lips tingle. we give shy smiles to one another and everything was seemingly perfect in that moment.