Chapter 2.5

It's been a month since Lin Ai came here. He's done a lot of missions from the base and his kill count had already reached 500. As of right now, he's joined the scientist in making a cure as a side job. Last week he told Vincent about him being a vet and also a scientist, just not the hidden lab part. He was given a position since they need all the help they can get. He's been researching the DNA from the normal human. There's nothing wrong with it. There was also something else he noticed. The animals when bitten don't become zombies, they just die. He decides to get a blood sample from one of the military dogs and check it. What he found, could help them. In the dog's DNA, there was a new type of nucleotide. It wasn't like the usual pattern of Adenine, Thymine, Guanine, and Cytosine. Instead, it has a new pair of nucleotides. They didn't have time to give it a scientific name, so they called it X and Z.

     Lin Ai also wonders about his DNA, seeing as he transforms into an animals. He took samples from his blood as a human, then as an animal. His DNA stays the same as a human, but as an animal, that pair of nucleotides appears. He had the scientist extract more blood from him in his animal form. He had them take a lot of blood, to the point where he almost fainted. The scientists got worried about him, but he assured them he was fine. They then made a nutritional diet to help keep Lin Ai's iron at a normal level. After 3 months of working with the blood, they were able to have it extracted and made with a formula.

     They haven't tested it yet, so they don't know the side effects and if it's even working it not. They decided to hold it off for a bit and make another type, using a different formula. As days passed, they were getting closer, but they still hadn't tried out the formula yet.

________________________________________________________________

     'Ugh, have they still not tested it yet?' Question Lin Ai mentally. As of right now, he is resting in an infirmary after getting his blood taken. He decides that if they don't test it in 3 months, he's gonna take it into his hand. While he's been working as a scientist, he hasn't been able to take too many missions. His zombie kill counts are only 620. Plus he hasn't done much mission with his husband. He thought they wouldn't meet much, but Vincent seemed to find a time to chat. They do have lunch together, plus Loui. Speaking of Loui, he's been acting weird lately. Last time Lin Ai overheard him saying he'd start something, with a weird laugh. Lin Ai just sighs as he gets up. Then there was a knock on his door. He didn't know who would visit him, but he let him in.

     "Hi, so how are you feeling?"

     A black-haired male came in. He bears a lot of similarities with his husband but has a lithe body instead. He was in a uniform that signifies a field position, so he's probably not what he looks like. Lin Ai looks at him in confusion. "Do I know you?"

    "Xiao Ai, it's me! Don't you recognize me?" Said the man smiling.

     'Wait is it him? But he doesn't have that mark on his wrist.' Thought Lin Ai. "I'm sorry but do I know you?" He questions again. He started to get anxious, so he had his guard up even more. Seeing this, the man got worried and just decided to give his name. He doesn't want to get beaten up by him.

     "Wait, it's me, Loui!" The man said quickly. 

     "Huh? Loui? What are you doing looking like that?" Asks Lin Ai.

     Loui rubs his neck and says "Well I kind of saw you drawing a picture of a man and I thought maybe he's your ideal type or something." 

    Lin Ai hearing this just sighs. "And why did you dress up as him?"

    Loui took this chance to say his feelings. "U-um I like you! I want you to be my lover!" 

    "No." Came the reply, not even a second after his confession. 

    Loui just pouts and says "Well, I tried. Say, do you like Vincent?" 

    Lin Ai just stares at him. He lays back down and nonchalantly says "I don't know. Maybe, who knows."

     Loui just smiles sadly at him and says "Well I wish you good luck then." He walks out and closes the door. "So, did you get what you wanted?" He asks his brother. Vincent just watches him walk away and answers "Not really."

______________________________________________________________

    Lin Ai looks at his wrist as he lays in his bed wondering if he's doing the right thing. Maybe he shouldn't be so focused on being Soulmate with him. It's probably not fair for Vincent. They've become closer these past few months, but maybe that's just it. 

     "Enma, What should I do?" 

     Enma appears and looks sadly at his host's confusion. He gained all these emotions when he met his soulmate because before they met, Lin Ai never really felt anything except loneliness. Originally his emotions wouldn't be all bunched up if he had experienced them the right way in his original world, but he had received them all at once in the first world he ventured to, making him confused. Enma just sighs and decides to give the safest suggestion. It won't last long, but it was better than erasing his memories or emotions. 

     "Host, if you're not sure, then you can have some time to yourself. You know, without much contact with your soulmate." Says Enma. The less contact he has with his soulmate, the less confusion of emotions it will be. Lin Ai decides to go with that plan. It was better than nothing. He sighs as his cheeks wet up a bit. He wiped them and went to sleep. Vincent who was watching him was worried. He seemed fine until tears started to fall from him. He wasn't sure if he should go in or not. He hesitated, by the time he looked again, Lin Ai had already gone to sleep. He walks into the room quietly. He reaches out to Lin Ai, softly patting his head, not noticing Enma watching them carefully. Vincent carefully studies his features, from his long lashes to his soft almost red lips. He couldn't help but let out an unfamiliar yet familiar name.

     "Xiao... Ai." He brought over a chair and sat next to Lin Ai's bed. He just sat and stared, patting his head. It wasn't until after a couple of minutes, did he fell asleep.