One - The Little Princess

Start from the beginning

"Where is the Eagle? How dare a Red like you steal from a Gold, not to mention the King?" An angry voice echoed from my Father's study just when I was about to enter.

Knowing what the voice was referring to, I quickly entered and saw a young boy about my age forced on his knees with my Father and a palace guard right before him. He had a swollen palm from the whips of the interrogating guard. His eyes were shut tight in pain while his other hand was holding the wrist of the swollen one that was opened for whipping. Cold sweat can be seen running down his forehead. His raven black hair got all messy while he was still in his uniform.

"Have you any idea how priceless that paperweight is?" My Father said calmly but strictly.

The young lad did not answer and kept his eyes shut. I knew that the paperweight was with me. I took it out of wonder for the little gold eagle and placed it in my room together with my collection of wooden animal figures I used to play with.

Little did I know how valuable it was to my Father.

"Stop!" I shouted in front of my Father for the very first time. "It's with me. I-I'm sorry... I never intended to steal it." I
continued while nervously fidgeting with my fingers.

I looked at my Father who appeared quite disappointed for a stern man since he falsely accused a child. He placed his hand on his forehead and then gestured the guard to release the boy. Father walked towards the entrance with his guard following behind him. He stopped just when he reached my side. I felt the sweat accumulating in the palm of my hands
and underneath the sole of my feet. He leaned down to direct his mouth to my ice cold ear.

"This will not happen again." He said plainly. I nodded.

When they had left, I ran towards the brave young boy who was now squatting on the cold granite floor of the study.

"Why didn't you say it wasn't you?" I asked being quite curious and guilty as I offered my hand for him to stand. He ignored my hand and stood by himself still using his good hand to hold the wrist of his swollen one. He then bowed then started to talk.

"I saw your Highness taking it and didn't know how to tell the King as he might punish you like he did me." He replied. His answer made me feel a lot worse. He bowed, and turned away but before he could take another step, I asked,

"What's your name?"

He turned to face me again. His teary brown eyes still focused on the granite floor.

"Levi, Your Highness. Levi Dawson." he answered with high respects from one twelve year old to another. I looked at his swollen palm. The wounds were starting to form red blisters.

"Come, let me fix that." I said as I immediately grabbed his good arm and pulled him along so that he couldn't refuse. I felt so guilty. I never wanted anyone to get hurt because of me.

That was when I requested for him as my own personal guard which was one of my ways to repay for my faults. This way, he had less commands to deal with and can move more freely under my jurisdiction. He still continued to train with the others during their own schedules. Now, he's one of the best we have.

"Psst! Levi." I called him who was walking a step behind and signaled for him to stay beside me as we passed by the hallway of guards from Damian's Kingdom. They were sent from the Kingdom of Quince for extra security that night.

"Yes, your highness?" He changed his act and said in the most respectful tone with an intimidating posture.

"What's with the formalities?" I asked while fixing my dangling tiara that went a little off place because of my tripping earlier.

"I'm sorry, I can't help it! The guards of Quince might think that the members of the staff from your Kingdom don't treat you with utmost respect." He bent to whisper with a mischievous smile.

"Anyway, Levi, do you think Prince Damian will finally notice me tonight?" I excitedly asked my most trusted guard/friend/adviser.

"Audrey, with all due birthday respect, wasn't it you who told me that he loved... uhh... what's her name? Leigh?" Levi said
reminding me that Damian had someone else in mind.

"But she's a White, Levi! His Father would never even approve the heir of Quince to marry a mere servant." I thoughtlessly blurted out.

"White or not, he loves her, Audrey. Her Hue is invisible to Damian." Levi answered, he looked more serious this time.

I felt stupid since Levi was from a family of Whites. I might have offended him so I decided to change the topic.

"Ehh... By the way, you're going to be the one who'll escort me in later, okay?" I was so excited since that night was going to be my eighteenth birthday celebration.

"How could I, your Highness? I'm only a mere Red." He said with sarcasm. I knew he was joking but I still felt bad.

We paused for a second as we arrived at the doorway to my room to get ready. I turned to face Levi before entering with Ivy and the other maids.

"Whatever, Levi." I said,

"You're my best friend. Your Hue is invisible to me too."