37: A Flaming Introduction

PERCY PoV

"Are demigods always that welcoming?" Uncle T asks.

"Depends on the cabin, on who's being claimed." I shrug. "We'll have to go rescue him in a while."

"Okay. What do we do in the meantime?" Steve wonders.

I think for a few seconds before jumping out of my seat. "C'mon! I'm gonna introduce you to Blackjack."

"I know how to play blackjack, Percy." Uncle T scoffs. I laugh, and Clarisse coughs to hide hers. Not what I'm talking about.

They follow after me, and when the Pegasi stables get close, I can hear a bit of their chatter. Complaining about the lack of treats. Dam pegasi and their sweet tooth.

Hey, you smell that?

Oh, woah! Who d'you think that is?

I hear two of the pegasi exchange. I wonder who they're talking about. Natasha tilts her head. "Aren't those stables?"

I turn and grin at her.  "Yup."

"So, Blackjack is a horse?" Uncle T asks.

"Don't let him catch you saying that." I warn. He frowns.

We round a corner and come into full view of the pegasi stables. Now, keep in mind: The pegasi stables aren't for keeping them in, but for giving them a shelter to stay in. Even though they don't particularly need one, because of the anti-weather barrier, but they like the sentiment.

"Wings. They have wings." Steve says, disbelief clear in his quiet words.

Oh, Lord!

You're back!

We were worried you were gone!

No we weren't, Saltine. One of them chews another out. We were all very confident in him.

I chuckle. Then there's a ruckus at the far end. A very familiar black pegasus comes running up to me. The Avengers take a good number of steps away.

Boss!  

"Hey buddy, I missed you."  I rub his head when he gets close enough.

Oh, man! You gotta tell me everything! The goat guy told me you were with your uncle in the mortal world!

"Yep. You wanna meet him?" I ask.

Whaaaat? A mortal, here? Oh, that's mortals behind you.

"Uncle T, c'mere!" I smile at him. "Come meet Blackjack, the remarkable pegasus with a craving for donuts."

Do you have any donuts?

I shake my head. "If I had donuts, you'd be able to smell them. I'll bring you some son."

Uncle T looks at me with wide eyes. "You can talk to him?"

"Yeah. You already knew I could talk to horses and fish." I shrug. 

He hesitantly comes closer, and Blackjack leans over to sniff him, before jerking his head away. He smells like oil!

Uncle T jumps. "Ack! What'd I do?"

"He says you smell like oil."

And grease!

"And grease."  I relay. Uncle T doesn't know what to think, and it's clear on his face.

Boss, you smell funny too.

"What do you mean?" I frown at him.

You smell like... Like your dad. And not like normal. You usually smell like his kid, but now you smell a lot like him. Blackjack adjusts his weight on his hooves.