Chapter 30

"If Shadis could pull a few strings for me, then I know you can."

Silica stood in the center of Erwin's new office, her arms crossed tightly over her chest as she stared at the commander. He was currently looking back at her, eyes half-lidded with his laced fingers hovering in front of his mouth. Every so often, Erwin would tap his upper lip with his knuckle, thinking deeply about all that she had just told him. About the manor, Patrick — Amelia.

After another moment of prolonged silence, Erwin let out a loose sigh. His blue eyes dropped to the surface of his desk, and he stood up. Silica watched him as he approached, and didn't move under the sensation of his palm resting on her shoulder.

"I can't begin to imagine the frustration you're experiencing," he began, tone low as he studied her face. Silica's brow narrowed. "But your gain of citizenship was allowed because you're serving humanity. Amelia being a child makes it a little different, and a lot more complicated."

"Even still, she deserves to live up here more than anyone." Silica argued, throwing her hands up.

"And I completely agree, but —"

"But nothing, Erwin," she interrupted him, stepping away from his touch. "Tell me what I have to do and I'll do it. I don't care what the consequences will be, I don't care if they send me back underground. She needs this."

Again, the blond sighed.

"I'll see what I can do," he caved, and his promise gave Silica at least a little bit of hope. "For now, Amelia can stay with you in the dorms. We'll figure something out later."

Silica didn't fight the relieved smile that cracked across her face, and the tension she was carrying in her shoulders dropped away. She reached out with both hands and took one of Erwin's before squeezing it.

"Thank you," she said sincerely, patting the top of his hand gently. "Really."

"It's the least I could do," he nodded, smiling. "You should get back to her; make up for lost time."

Silica agreed wordlessly and left his office. She made it back to the dorms in record time, and made a beeline for her room — where Ama waited with Levi.

She eased open the door and peaked her head inside to see that Ama was already sleeping soundly in Silica's bed. Levi had pulled up the desk chair beside her and was too busy brushing his fingers through Ama's hair to notice Silica's entry, and hummed the gentle lullaby he used to sing to her daughter when Silica and Patrick weren't around.

A warmth spread through Silica's chest at the sight, and she closed the door behind her as quietly as possible.

"Can't say that I remember the last time I heard you sing." Silica spoke up, her tone hushed as she leaned over the back of Levi's chair, her arms hugging loosely around his shoulders.

"How could I not at a time like this?" Levi replied as if her comment was ridiculous. He neglected to halt his petting of Ama's hair. "It makes her fall asleep so fast."

Silica nodded slowly and pecked Levi's temple before easing herself down on the foot of the bed, her legs crossed as she looked down at her sleeping daughter.

"What did Erwin say?" Levi finally asked, looking at Silica from the corner of his eye.

"He said he'd see what he could do," she replied, fingers gripping the duvet she sat on. "We'll meet up again when he has news for me."

"I don't think you'll have anything to worry about," Levi spoke reassuringly, reaching his free hand out to grip Silica's knee. "You proved yourself valuable on the Expedition. They'd be stupid to jeopardize their contract with you."