Chapter 24

Silica roamed down the halls of the dormitory building later that night, dressed in a long green skirt with a tucked in button down top. In her hands she held a trey, and as she approached her destination, she knocked her knuckles three times against the surface of the door before easing it open.

She popped her head inside to see Brutus sitting up in bed with a book situated in his lap. His chest was bare all for the gauze wrapped around the injuries she had treated, and his attention drifted upward upon hearing the door open.

Brutus smiled widely at her as she entered, and took the trey of food she had brought him from her outstretched hands.

"How're you feeling?" She asked, taking a seat on the chair by the bed.

"Relieved, I'd say," Brutus replied, setting his food on his lap. "You saved my life today, Silica."

At that, Silica looked off to the side, rubbing the side of her arm. "We just got lucky."

"You really did," Brutus tried to convince her, reaching out and scooping up her free hand in his. "If you weren't so stubborn I'd be dead right now."

Silica scoffed and rolled her eyes, being unable to fight the amused smile from scrawling across her face.

"Right," she sighed, looking down and squeezing his hand. "What happens to Elite Advancement now?"

"Either it'll be disbanded," he replied, sighing right along with her. "Or Shadis will start finding new recruits to fill the empty spaces."

"Everyone's replaceable, it looks like." Silica stated bitterly, expression hardening into a scowl.

Brutus had no response to that, and as a silent moment befell them, a knock at the door drew both of their attentions toward the sound.

Erwin unexpectedly stepped into the room, still dressed in his uniform, with an emerald bolo tie — which was a new accommodation — resting on his chest. Silica arched a brow at his presence, and noticed immediately the stack of papers he had in his hands.

"Silica," the blond said, shutting the door quietly behind him. "McManus, I'm glad I've found you both in the same place."

"What's up, Brows?" Silica prompted, leaning back in her seat with her arms crossed.

"It will not be announced until tomorrow morning," Erwin cleared his throat. "But Keith Shadis has resigned and promoted me to commander."

Silica and Brutus' eyes collectively widened as they threw each other a surprised glance.

"Uh," Silica began, slowly standing up and offering him a salute. Brutus followed her lead. "Congratulations."

"Please," Erwin smiled, raising a hand. "There's no need for that."

Silica let her hands fall. "Right. Is that all you came here for?"

"No, not hardly," he replied, taking his stack of papers and handing them over to her. She glanced down to the top sheet, seeing that it was the personal information of a collection of soldiers she didn't recognize. "I have news for you."

"Well get on with it then." Silica encouraged, looking on at the next page as she lowered herself back into her chair.

"I was informed by our previous commander that you single handedly saved Brutus' life and managed to make it back to the Scout Regiment unscathed," Erwin continued, his hands held loosely at his sides as he watched Silica shoot him a questioning glare. "So, after a bit of conversation, Shadis as well as myself have deemed it appropriate to promote you to Squad Captain of the Elite Advancement Squad."