42

I stared out of the window as Morgan drove, our silence filled with the sound of the misfits podcast playing loudly. Mo chuckled lightly every now and again when they'd say something funny, but I wasn't in a laughing kind of mood. My chest felt heavy and I wished I could just stay in Edmonton, I didn't want to go back and face my team mates and friends after past few days. I spent most of last night, trying to figure out why Mo didn't tell me, why Connor didn't tell me, but I realised it was because they didn't know how to.

"Tyler called me by the way, he said he was caught up in Ontario, so he probably wont be back for a while, but he said that you should still go to the lake house." Mo said as he stopped the car at a service station, I looked at him and nodded with a smile before he left the car to go get us coffee and snacks. I opened my phone and ignored the countless missed calls and text messages from the guys and Kappy, I scrolled to the number I wanted and clicked it, holding it up to my ear.

"Hey kid." Swagger said answering the phone call and I sighed and took a deep breathe before speakimg.

"How do you and the guys fancy coming to stay at a lake house for a couple of weeks, we got all the shit y0u need here." I said and there was a pause for a second and mumbled voices before everyone answered all at once. I smiled gently and nodded. "See you guys soon." I said quietly and ended the call. Mo climbed back into the car and handed me my coffee.

"The Misfits are coming to stay at the lake house for a couple of weeks with me, fancy coming too?" I asked and Morgan just nodded with a smile before we set back off on the road.

***

After 35 hours of not sleeping at all and spending half the time driving while Mo spent the other half driving, I wanted nothing more than my bed. When I dropped Mo off, he kissed my forehead tiredly and hugged me tightly before making his way into his house. I drove home with sad music playing loudly through the speakers, annoyingly I don't want to miss a thing started playing as soon as I pulled up to the house. I stared at the radio for a few moments before swallowing the lump in my throat and giving myself a shake.

"No need to cry about it, Daisy." I whispered to myself and grabbed my bag back and anything I needed from the back of the car. I unlocked the front door and immediately dropped everything, before closing the door again and kicking off my shoes. I hadn't realised someone was fast asleep on my sofa until I came out of the kitchen, water bottle and a bowl of cereal in hand as I prepared to watch Netflix and fall asleep. I stopped in my tracks as I saw the familiar jumper before the face. I closed my eyes tightly shut and aggressively placed my bowl down on the table waking Kappy up.

"Daisy?" He whispered tiredly and usually I'd find that cute, but at the moment I wanted him out of my house and as far away from me as possible.

"What're you doing here?" I asked not looking at him but instead focusing my attention on anything else in the room.

"I've been waiting for you to get back, you wouldn't answer my calls." He said sitting up and I just scoffed and shook my head.

"Can you get out please?" I asked and he stood up, moving forward slightly, which just made me move a step back.

"Daisy, please let me explain." He said and I shook my head, tears quickly making their way to my eyes.

"There's no need to explain, Kappy. That girl was obviously better and I'm obviously just not good enough. I saw the video, it was hard not to see the video, since everyone was talking about it, egging you on. Even the people that knew we were together. I don't want your explanation and I want you to get out of my house and leave me alone." I said, my voice strained as I held back a sob, finally looking him in the eyes as I pointed to the door. He looked at me, his eyes tired and full of tears, but still, he nodded and within seconds, he was gone. I fell back on the sofa and sobbed into the pillow, I hadn't even noticed the sound of the front door opening.

"Oh Daisy." A gentle voice said before sitting down next to me and pulling me into them. Mitch held me close to him as I sobbed into his chest, the whole situation proving more difficult that I had expected. "You shouldn't be like this, you won the Stanley cup a month ago. You should be still on cloud 9." He said and soothed down my hair and I just sniffled.

"Yeah well, my dumbass is just over emotional." I said sitting back and rubbing my eyes, trying to stop the tears from falling.

"I don't mean you can't be sad, Daisy. It's valid for you to be sad, what he did was a real dick mood. But you deserve to be happy, in fact you should be happy. You are so unbelievably powerful and you shouldn't let this beat down your spirit, especially not after the seasons you've just conquered." Mitch said and I just looked at him carefully before smiling gently and pulling him into a hug.

"I love you Mitchy." I said and he just chuckled and hugged me tightly before pulling.

"Yeh I love you too, Daisy. Now, tell me about your road trip, how was Edmonton and how's our boy Connor doing " he asked and i just smiled and started telling him about the week, forgetting about Kappy for a while.