Chapter 38

The afternoon dragged by, and my head was pounding with every pulse of blood. It hurt so bad, I wondered if I had a concussion. But I wasn't dizzy or any of the other symptoms of a concussion. I just had a huge lump on my forehead. It hurt enough that it almost kept me from thinking of my dad.

He has a new fate in store for him.

I prayed they wouldn't hurt him. Maybe he was only trying to scare me. By 4:30, I wondered why the reunification therapists hadn't arrived yet. And how was Dr. Manning going to hide the big lump on my forehead?

Around 5:00 p.m. I heard the door unlock and swing open.

"Time for dinner, Corrine," Dr. Manning said without coming downstairs.

I slowly walked up the stairs, not feeling too confident on my feet—or confident about anything. He held the door open for me and led me to the kitchen table, just as he did for breakfast.

I should've been hungry since breakfast was so long ago, but between my head thumping and the twirls my stomach was doing about my dad and my future, food was the last thing on my mind.

"Have a seat, Corrine," Dr. Manning said. "Sophia here has made us another wonderful meal."

Stuffed bell peppers. salad, and toasted sourdough bread. I didn't know how I'd get myself to eat.

"Thank you," I said to her.

But she still wasn't looking my way. It was as if I didn't exist. I wondered if she was in any way mad at me. Or possibly scared for me.

They sat down quietly with none of the usual upbeat conversation. Dr. Manning reached for our hands, but it didn't register at first that he was going to say a prayer. Once I realized, I held Sophia's and his hands.

"Dear Lord, we thank you for this food you put before us this evening. We ask that you bless us and watch over us during this difficult transition. Please give James strength as he finds his way. Amen."

Sophia said amen as well. I didn't say anything. I needed the prayers the most.

We passed around the food and ate in silence, other than a reminder from Dr. Manning to Sophia to pick up his prescription from the pharmacy. I forced down a few bites, trying to be polite, but I couldn't bear to eat.

As Sophia began clearing the table (and still not looking at me), Dr. Manning said, "Oh, Corrine. Detective Santini sent me an interesting article I printed out for you a bit ago."

He got up and walked down the hall, presumably to his office. Sophia walked over to the table and grabbed my plate for me.

"Sophia, please talk to me," I pleaded.

"I can't," she whispered and glanced toward the hallway.

"Why not?"

"Don't get me into trouble, too."

"That's why you won't talk to me?"

She looked frantic. "I don't know who you are anymore. I thought we were friends."

"We are friends. I'm trying to save us," I protested, but she shushed me as Dr. Manning approached.

"Okay, I have it," he said as he moved his seat next to me and sat down. He was holding a piece of paper.

"I'm going to the bedroom, Richard," Sophia announced.

"Okay, dear," he said as he stood and kissed her on her cheek. She only turned halfway to accept it. He sat back down.