§ 25 §

January 5th - 11:00am

Epilogue

                                                                                     "I can't believe it's over already" Amelia sighed after leaning away from her son who she had previously hugged, smiling him a soft smile Virgil knew he'd miss back in America. Virgil would agree that the holiday had passed by quick, quicker than he originally anticipated which was unfortunate but these things couldn't last forever - he and Roman needed to get home so they'd have time with Roman's family before their jobs started back up. Thankfully Roman's family returned home a week later, they were vastly spread out across the US apart from his father's uncle's son who pretty much travels the world.

"I know, I'm...gonna miss you" he admitted with a slight smile, eyes staring up at his mother through his bangs. She just chuckled a little teary eyed, running her hands from his shoulders and down his arms until she was holding both his hands. "Hey, you'll be back soon, right? For Easter" and Virgil nodded in head - he had promised to come down for every holiday during this year, although he and Roman would have to figure out a dynamic of where to go each year he was sure they could work things out.

"Right, I'll let you say goodbye" she pressed a lingering kiss to his forehead before gently pushing him away, Virgil hesitantly left her side, walking across the foyer to bid farewell to everyone else. The only other people leaving right now were William, Elizabeth and Mia - William's job wasn't that lenient and Christmas was the only time of year he was really...free. Unfortunately. Luckily he had weekends with his wife and daughter, though.

The rest would slowly tickle away through this week and the next until the house only homed Amelia, Matthew, Harper and Gabriel. The teens couldn't wait. They desperately wanted their rooms back and for the basement to return to their living room.

He first found the children in the basement, their beds covered with toys they either hoarded protectively or shared. He smiled at the sight and walked over to the end of their beds, hands in his pockets, eyebrow risen curiously. "Virgil!" Riley was first to drop her toys and rush over to him, giggling when he scooped her up and sat her on his hip. "You're leaving, aren't you?" she then frowned, sticking out her bottom lip too.

Virgil sighed with a frown, "unfortunately" he confirmed, "but hey! We'll be down again for Easter, right?" And that made her light up in excitement, wriggling from his grip to go off back to her bed. Seb shuffled to the edge of his, making grabby hands to Virgil who smiled warmly and picked him up too, brushing his hair from his face.

"M'gonna miss you" he murmured shyly and Virgil felt his heart break but warm up at the same time. He adored his little cousins and niece. "I'll miss you too, Seb" he then glanced towards his bed, finding it covered with plastic dinosaurs. "Hey, ever had a toy Dino from America before?" His eyes lit up like the night sky, head shaking quickly which made his hair fly over his eyes. Virgil chuckled and swept it away again.

"How about I get you one? Instead of an Easter egg?" Of course that was a lie, he'd buy both but the excitement that crossed his face distracted Virgil from that thought.

"Please!" Sebastian begged and Virgil agreed, placing him back down gently. Then Henry cautiously walked up to him, hesitantly holding his arms up. Virgil smiled a soft smile, lifting him into his arms and setting him on his hip like he did with Riley.

Knowing he didn't say much, Virgil was content with Henry merely giving him a big hug, arms wrapped around his neck, face buried into his shoulder. Virgil happily hugged back, soothing a hand up and down his back.