Chapter Twenty-Six - Fast Car

Start from the beginning

"Wherever you'd like to." 

I took a deep breath and sighed. 

"I'm assuming you're not coming with me." 

Cain shook his head. 

"This is how it has to be, Ella." 

"But, Cain-"

"Stop." 

He put his cup down and stood in front of me. Placing his hands on either side of me on the countertop, Cain left nowhere for my attention to be except on him. 

"That thing was after me. So was the man who attacked you before that. I'm not going to risk it a third time."

I gulped as he looked at me with an intense stare. 

"Please don't make this harder than it has to be. I don't want you to leave anymore than you want to go, but this is what is best." 

For a moment, as Cain stared at me with those pleading lavender eyes, I tucked away my emotions. 

He was right. 

This was what was best and I had known it all along. 

"You've got a bright future, Ella. I can't let myself be what dulls it," he said, backing away. 

Cain began to walk away from me before I spoke. 

"Just answer one question for me." 

He turned his head in my direction, giving me his attention.

"How long have you known that we couldn't stay together?" 

I saw him take a deep breath before he turned away again. 

"Since I held you while you cried yourself to sleep last night," he said. 

Everything I wanted to say was lodged in my throat, unable to be spoken. 

With a heavy heart, I watched him walk away. He closed the door gently behind him as he left the cabin.

I couldn't bring myself to follow after him. 

I spent the rest of the morning alone packing my suitcase, which I found under the bed. 

I changed into my own clothes but packed Cain's t-shirt away in my luggage. He wouldn't figure out it was gone until I was, so it didn't weigh on my conscience to take it. I wanted to take as much of him home with me as I could. 

I rolled the suitcase into the living room when I heard voices outside. 

The front door opened and Daniel stepped in with two, large brown paper bags in his arms. 

"It's okay," he said to me sarcastically. "You can stand right there, I've got it." 

He set the bags down on the counter with a huff. 

"I knew you had it in you," I told him.

Jai walked through the front door, holding another bag. 

"That's the last of it," he said. "That should hold us over until we leave tonight." 

"Where are you going?" I asked him. 

Daniel looked at me with a smug smile. 

"Wouldn't you like to know?" 

Jai looked at Daniel warily before he turned to me, his expression remaining stoic. 

"I'm taking you to the airport in a few minutes," he said. "I've already bought the ticket."

I nodded, feeling my stomach twist at the thought.