Senior After Party

Julie sat with the rest of the graduating class in alphabetical order in the city auditorium where Commencement was being held. She would prefer to be sitting with her friends but they would get to party all night long together at the senior party afterward. She looked around and spotted her parents and saw her grandparents arrive late as usual. At least they made it this time. They had the worst sense of time and Julie could only smile as she looked for others that she knew. She finally spotted where her friends were sitting and they all exchanged wide grins. As she looked over her graduating class, she spotted Nathan sitting next to a couple of pack warriors. He was being allowed to graduate and walk across the stage to pick up his diploma, but he was not allowed to talk to Julie or approach her. He looked calmer than the last few times she saw him before his breakdown. He had an almost serene look on his face as if the last couple of months hadn't happened.

Jewels growled low inside Julie's mind. "What's up, Jewels?" Julie asked.

I don't trust that look. Julie could feel Jewels increasing their awareness and scanning the auditorium.

"He's surrounded by warriors, he can't get to us." Julie tried to soothe her wolf.

Do not allow yourself to be alone with him. I won't give him a chance to hurt us. Julie had never heard so much dislike and hate from her wolf before.

"What's going on, Jewels?" Julie started to feel tense now that her wolf was growling in the back of her mind.

I don't trust him. Something has been off for a few days and I'm not liking it. Wolves were more aware of the world than humans were. Julie knew that if Jewels was feeling unsettled, then there was probably a reason.

"I'll be on my toes," Julie promised.

So will I. Julie felt her wolf take a back seat but was keeping her senses wide open. It made things a little uncomfortable for Julie as she was now fully aware of how noisy it was in the auditorium. She would prefer not to be so aware of how many bodies were packed into this large room, but Jewels was staking out the place and she just had to let her finish and then relax.

Their principal got up to speak and then introduced the first of five Valedictorians who were going to be speaking. Julie barely paid any attention as Jewels preoccupation scattered her attention. She focused her eyes on her ring as a way to stay calm. While Jewels scanned the room, Julie concentrated on the different ways Jaeson had shown her he loved her. Eventually, the speakers finished their speeches and the principal got back up to encourage the kids before they came up to get their diplomas.

Jewels had been on high alert ever since seeing Nathan and the heightened senses were finally wearing on Julie. The scents from 600 people were overwhelming under normal circumstances but heightened, it was enough to make her want to throw up. There was not a person in that room she didn't now know by scent and really wished she didn't. "Jewels, I need you to relax. Nathan isn't doing anything and he's not going anywhere. He hasn't even once looked in our direction. You are making me feel frazzled and I need my concentration long enough so I don't trip walking across the stage." Jewels grumbled but eventually backed down and pulled her senses back in. She liked having augmented senses, but it could tire a person out if it went on too long. The sounds and smells around her reduced and she could finally concentrate on her graduation and not on everyone else.

She watched and cheered as the names of her graduating class were called and walked across the stage. When it was finally her turn, she couldn't help but grin and wave to her family. As she approached the principal, who shook her hand and then handed her her diploma, she felt an enormous sense of satisfaction. She was one step closer to being able to claim her mate. She was a graduated senior now and not some punky kid. A woman who could be a mate to her idol werewolf.