Chapter Fifty One

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter Fifty One

M E A N I N G F U L M I S T A K E S Chapter Fifty One

F O U R
Y E A R S
L A T E R

Everything is becoming more and more overwhelming. So much so that the blood beneath my skin heats enough to change my skin tone, and force nausea over me. I try holding it back, not letting my anxiety and worries rise to the surface. It goes unnoticed by everyone. I've had plenty of time to master disguise.

I stand up from the table in the cafe we had all taken seat at. "I'm just going to go get some air. I'll be back in a minute." I tell everyone, which earns me questioning looks.

"Do you want me to come with you?" William asks before anyone else can. I shake my head as my answer, declaring I am okay to go alone. I desperately need it.

I leave, pushing the glass door open to be welcomed with the chilly Lacewood air and layers of mist. I walk around the corner so I'm not visible through the window front, and sit on the curb.

Being stuck in that cafe with the sounds of the steaming coffee machine, loud babies crying, conversations around me, and the food being sizzled was forcing me to feel ill. My fingers subconsciously run through my hair, tucking it behind my ears to cool my face down.

"This feels oddly familiar." I turn to watch Jake sit beside me. "I decided it was best that I came out to check on you instead William or Hunter. It would spare you a long and boring motivational speech they both give almost everyday to anyone."

I laugh, picking up a small rock and rolling it between my fingers. "You're forgetting Ian's words of wisdom."

Now, Jake is the one laughing. "That too."

Lacewood is a lot busier than I remember it when we were in high school. More buildings are being built, and wealthy people are offering high prices to buy people's houses. Hunter was right, it slowly is becoming the town of business and luxury.

"So tell me, what's going on?" Jake asks, turning himself to look at me better. "Everyone has noticed for the past few weeks you've been a little off. You're very distracted and moody. More than usual." I elbow him for that comment.

I can never hide anything from my friends. They're so observant and notice the smallest differences in the way I act. They know me better than I know myself sometimes.

I release a heavy breath that had been weighing on my chest since I'd kept this topic from everyone- including my blond best friend. "Hunter and I made a decision about two or three months ago, about having kids."

My eyes sting and begin to water. "Are you ready to have kids? Is that something you want?" He asks, his tone going soft the moment he notices my shaking hands and expression.