Chapter Four

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter Four

Sitting in the car with Eliza for thirty minutes- is absolute torture

Sitting in the car with Eliza for thirty minutes- is absolute torture. My chest clenches with anxiety the whole drive. The whole drive she rambles on about me being 'selfish' and a 'brat' for not wanting to see my own father.

I was ready to open the door and jump out whilst she was driving. I didn't say a single word to her in return. That also annoyed her. I don't care. I kept picturing myself jumping from the window to distract myself.

Eventually, she eases the car up a driveway to a large, modern, double story house. I remember my dad saying he moved houses, but I hadn't pictured a place this nice and homely.

My lips attempt to part, but I force them into a straight line because I don't want to give either of them satisfaction that I admired the baby blue house.

I climb out of the car and reluctantly follow Eliza up the stone path and to the large mahogany doors. She fishes through her bag and pulls out a set of shiny keys. They're as polished as her nails.

"Your dad will be home in five minutes." She tells me and unlocks the doors to let us in. "You can go wait in his office. Down the hall first door on the left." After giving me the instructions, she disappears into the house as if she wanted to rid me already.

I roll my eyes at her once again and walk down the empty hall where she pointed, and let myself in to the office.

A large wooden desk is placed in front of a leather chair with a book shelf behind it, and there is two seats opposite it. I toss my bag beside one of the two chairs and flop down on it sadly, glancing around at the boring brown room that has hardly any personality to it.

My phone starts to buzz continuously in the back pocket of my jeans where it normally lives, so I grab it and see William's photo flash across the screen. Thank gosh, I needed the distraction now to settle my fast beating heart.

I answer the call and lean my head against the chair while spinning around in it. "Hey Will" I breathe out unsteadily. I hadn't realised how shaky I really was.

"Lolita, gosh! Where are you?!" He yells loud enough that I need to pull the phone away from my ear for a moment. "Hunter told me that some psycho practically forced you to leave with her. What the hell is going on?"

"He got the psycho part right." I hated that Hunter witnessed what happened in the office. "Dad's girlfriend threatened to call the police if I didn't go with her to see him. So now, I'm practically being held against my will at their new house."