Chapter Sixteen

M E A N I N G F U L
M I S T A K E S
Chapter Sixteen

M E A N I N G F U LM I S T A K E S Chapter Sixteen

I haven't forgotten it for a moment.

The conversation on the stairs, how he hadn't let go.
Everything had changed in that moment. I already was adapting to him opening up to me, so when he looked at me a very different way, I couldn't remember my name.

There's no memory in my mind that had ever recalled being looked at like that. A storm could've ripped away the ceiling and I don't think he would've noticed.

It frightens me because I don't know what it's suppose to mean. I'm not sure why it was dwelling on my mind so much. Perhaps it's because we're walking in silence and he stands only a finger space apart.

He feels so close, yet so far. My body heats beneath my clothes, my heart beat feels unsteady, and my fingers are playing with a thread on my knitted sweater.

I eye the well preserved diner suspiciously. I assumed Hunter would've picked the little cafe where I normally go since it's close, but he had lead us to his car and almost drove out of town to the diner we're standing in front of.

I have lived in Lacewood for a while now, and I have never been to this cafe. A part of me thinks it's because I never go close to the bridge that leads you out of Lacewood. The idea of a big world beyond scares me.

"Is this place any good?" Hunter asks me while he pushes the door open, letting me in first. He must have stopped it when he moved to town.

My shoulders shrug. "I've never been here before." We sit in a little booth with baby blue leather seats.

The retro aesthetic to the diner is nice, but I can see it's not on purpose. It hasn't been modified since it opened long ago. "I take it as a good sign if it's somewhat busy." There are at least three other tables are occupied by people.

For Lacewood, that is busy. We never have visitors. Only our small population, mixed with the good and bad. There's nothing remotely special about this town.

"Sometimes you can judge just by a menu." I pick up the other folded paper and flip it open. "See," I hold my menu up to him with my finger pointing to the options, "creative cake and milkshake flavours."

Hunter's brows knot together when he stares at me instead of the paper. "I'd just call that judging a book by it's cover."

"The whole point of the cover is to draw people in. People say it's all about the inside, but we're lying if you don't become interested for the cover and title first. Besides, after that you read the description before you even see the inside."