Chapter Nineteen

Elvin woke up with bit emptiness and with a feeling that a part of his skin is under the torture of something hot. Then he sat up to realize he had been lying with Peter in a wooden cage which only has half of itself illuminated by the sun light. He looked at Peter who seemed to have woken up before him and quietly staring at him from the dark corner of the cage. He moved slightly to avoid the touch of the harsh sun. "Hey," Elvin quietly called Peter. "Where are we?"

"In a cage." Peter raised an eyebrow and shrugged as he answered with a bit of irritation.

"com'on, stop being stupid and let us think of how we can get out of here." Elvin uttered quietly but with so much seriousness.

"Ok ok ok, there is just one person to ask." Peter gestured at the guard standing at the exit of the place they were held prisoners. "That man standing at the door" he said with a grin.

Elvin quickly moved to the gate of the wooden cage to get a better view of the man. He felt his fingers round the gate and realized it is made of old timber and the chains wrapped around it were not just ordinary chains. "Hey!!" he tried to get the attention of the guard.

"I wasted so much energy calling the fool, so don't try" said Peter.

Elvin dropped away from the gate with obvious frustration. He slowly took off the glove from his sweaty palms and laid back to feel some comfort. "What do we do now? we have to get to the head of the towns' guard before more people die" he uttered in a firm whisper.

"Maybe you should try your earth flyring power," Peter replied

"You know it requires some distance, I don't want to get crushed using my own powers, Elvin said as he searched his purse for something indefinite.

"Yeah, that's suicide." Peter said with a sigh as he fixed his eyes on Elvin's purse and what he wanted out of it.

After a slight search, Elvin felt his fingers on a small cold disc-like metal. His fingers hunted for more and fortunately for him, it was more than what he expected. He picked out two of it from his purse and flipped it high with a snide smile.

Peter scoffed as he rolled his eyes. "What in the name of the spirits do you want to do with a coin?" he asked with obvious impatience.

"You know nothing friend," he replied, and continued with his voice fainting into a light whisper... "The toss of a coin can break the silence of the dumb." He winked with a smile.

Peter relaxed and watch his friend toss the coins to the guard. The two coins split ways, rolled to the feet of the guard and dropped with a clatter.

The lanky guard took off his helmet to take a look at the two pieces of silver coins lying at his feet. He bent gradually, removed the soft leather glove from his palm and picked up the coins with his bare hands. He rubbed them together and raised it up beneath his nose to smell it newness. 'I have more if you will render some help,' the guard hastily tilted his head up as the words from one of the prisoners fell upon his ear.

"One help I won't be doing is getting you out of there," the guard said.

"We definitely won't be asking for that help," said Peter.

"I have a bag of gold coins hidden at the base of where I live, I just want to make sure it is safe," Elvin said, hiding under a false expression.

The guard scoffed, he began taking some steps to the prisoners with a bit of suspicion. "And how can a teen like you get a bag of gold coin?" He asked as he gestured and emphasized on every of his words.

"I'm a gambler, and the man I won it from will surely attack," Elvin replied without proper composition but still tried to look convincing. "You know how the gamble business works... he added.