Chapter Thirteen

Dianna rested her head on Elvin's shoulder, feeling sad and depressed, wondering if Elvin would be enough to take away all her problems. She thought of the moment she discovered the absence of her power. In that moment she could have healed the boy and now emptiness was all she felt. She bit down on her lower lip, determined not to cry in the presence of her friends; she hated to look weak and pitiful.

"Do you think...do you think we can resolve this on our own? I mean, it's weird for me not to have my powers and I'm...I'm scared. This has never happened to me before." She stuttered, forcing the words out with courage and keeping hold of herself to keep from weeping.

Noticing how sad she really felt, Elvin pulled her closer in a comfortable embrace and squeezed her shoulders lightly to assure her that everything was going to be okay. He smiled softly at her and kissed her forehead. Dianna's returning smile was a little shaky, as she still felt uncertain of her missing powers.

"We explained everything to Professor Zuimeda and he promised to investigate the matter after tomorrow's match." Mary said. She stood up swiftly from the small stool she was sitting on, relocating to a bigger chair near the window. "See," she said crossing her legs and tossing them around, getting relaxed before turning to Amnel. "We don't even have a plan yet. We can't just afford to keep our mouths shut."

Elvin sighed heavily with his eyes closed, totally clueless and confused. He wanted them to resolve and find a solution to the problem silently. He never wanted to inform anyone about this; in this luring academy of sorcerers, anyone could be a master mind or a puppet to evil doings. "Yeah, I understand, that's why we shouldn't gamble and rely on the tomorrow, so let's just act now, without delay." He said, trying to put more confidence in his speech than he felt inside.

"He's right," Amnel agreed.

The conversation was disrupted as Peter banged into the room carrying piles of large dirty and dusty books. He ran over to the nearest table to drop the huge load. He dropped them promptly, dusting his palms and breathing continuously to regain his sanity, feeling tired and terribly exhausted. He turned to his friends after a while, who were staring at him like he was going crazy. "This is it," He smiled.

"You mean we're going to read this..." Amnel raised an eyebrow, gesturing at the pile of books Peter was standing by. "Things?"

"Maybe," he said. He stretched one of his hands out to pick up one of the books, opening it smoothly in spite of the wrinkled pages, and placed it on the table. "Well, look at what I found," He coughed, looking up to see his friends rush towards him to take a look. He smiled with triumph, looking at their faces. "Hmm, interesting," He set his eyes back on the book and began to read. "There is an object used in stealing or extracting people's magic. It is a small and transparent orb created by a mountain witch for people who seek it. It is very effective and rare, making the victim weak and paralyzed after the magic is withdrawn. It's called a truma."

"Interesting indeed," Agreed Amnel, examining the book closely.

"But I never noticed anything, no weakness, no paralyzing, nothing," Dianna said, looking confused.

"I guess it must have been used when you were asleep." Elvin suggested. "Waking up, you wouldn't feel anything,"

"Exactly. Now we're getting somewhere. The culprit must've been in your room the night before everything happened. But our problem is that we don't have a suspect; how are we going to find the culprit?" Amnel said, looking at their faces expectantly, waiting for an answer.

"Then I will have to bring a friend in," Elvin said, when no one spoke up with ideas.

"Who?" They all asked anxiously.