Chapter Sixteen

It was night and the breeze blew quietly, making the whole school almost lifeless in its state of silence. The school structure was lost in the embrace of darkness except the dim lanterns that glowed from every window. It was three days after the last match at the arena but school activities haven't been going on smoothly because so many problems and matters of urgency had been visiting. So many letters and report were received from the west kingdom but none had been properly given attention. Starting from that of the unexplainable, unnatural death of innocent souls and the presence of lord Radeon in the north.

Mary, peter, Amneil and Dianna walk through the darkness into the thick wood which is a very long distance away from the school site. They moved as quiet as possible hitting the tall grasses aside to make a passage way. The star seemed far away, leaving the moon the nearest to keep their company. Their shoes tapped softly against the wet earth, and made the field rustle with low scurrying sounds. The dark within them was illuminated by the deem lantern they carried but still, the nearest distance could hardly be seen.

"I'm sorry, I can't go further." Dianna said in a low voice containing so much tiredness.

Peter paused and looked around carefully. "I think we are there already." He stepped forward, hitting the tall grasses aside and searched the ground thoroughly with his feet and eyes.

"So where is the body?" Mary who is already starting to get bored and uninterested with the whole scene spoke up.

"Shhh," peter ran straight to a low-grass spot and stopped as he caught view of a body lying still on the ground.

The other three trailed behind him and were shocked at what they saw. Their attention wasn't really disturbed by the lifeless body that lay under the night sky, but the physical state it appeared.

Amnel came forth to peter, and bent his body over. He put his hand into the thick black leather bag and brought out a soft glove which he slowly slipped into his hand. "And you said the scream was about two hours ago?" Amnel asked with obvious confusion.

"Yes, very sure." Peter replied straight.

Amnel brightened the lantern beside him and collected another from Mary to exam the body properly.

Though it was reported that the whole drama was about two hours old but what he saw was like ten years old dead body dug out of it tomb. It was definitely a man with bald head and agile body. The skin looked so gray, dry, collapsed, and tight enough to show the shape and position of his rib cage, skull, limbs, backbone, and every joint within his clothing. Amnel hiss and frowned as he wondered what could cause this death, and also remembered that several cases like this were reported from the north. He gazed at it again and again, and was sure that it was the same effect that was reported.

The body lay facing the sky, face turned to the opposite direction. The cloth looked undisturbed and appeared to be neat and the necklace he wore is known to the northerners. Does this have something related to the other dead bodies recorded in the north and the newly return prisoner, lord Radeon?

Amnel thrust his hand forward to turn the man's face to himself. Seeing it, he jerked back slowly as horror slapped his courageous mind, sending fear to crumble it down. The man's eyes had been removed, leaving a thick black fluid to run down his eyes, ears and mouth. These three parts were the same features reported too.

"Damn, this fluid stinks." Amnel said as he stood and backed off from the body, feeling irritated.

"What kind of change can occur in human body to bring out this kind of liquid?" Peter asked, not really expecting an answer.

Then a voice came from the dark of the forest. "Because he saw what he wasn't supposed to see, heard what he wasn't supposed to hear and testified to what he wasn't supposed to testify to."